Ask
    jim30189 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 23, 2015, 10:40 AM
    Who is liable if they hit an illegally parked car in Georgia
    Who is liable if they hit an illegally parked car in Georgia
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 23, 2015, 11:03 AM
    Chances are the driver of the moving vehicle. If, however, it can be proven that the car was parked in such a way that the position of the parked car contributed to the accident, the person who illegally parked it may be liable. More details would be helpful.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 23, 2015, 11:31 AM
    9 times out of 1o it will be the driver of the car doing the hitting. You must be in control of your car at all times. If you approach an illegally parked car you must avoid it even if it blocks your path.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 24, 2015, 04:39 AM
    I was a formal police office in Georgia. Even if the car was parked illegal, if it is not moving, it will not be at fault in the accident.

The moving car has to operate in such a manner as to safety operate. The only slight exceptions if they were parked on a curve.

This is for the criminal fine, that the police officer will issue.

As for the civil issue, the illegal parked car may receive some blame, but normally this is all worked out by the insurance companies, and the drivers have little say in how it works out.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 24, 2015, 05:09 AM
    The driver of the moving vehicle is responsible for any damage caused. The illegally parked car might get ticketed for it. But it is highly unlikely that the car owner would be held liable for any damages. The only scenario I can think of where that might be a possibility is if the car was parked in a blind spot where the driver would not be able to see it until too late and the driver had a reasonable expectation of nothing being there.

As others have noted, more details might help use help you more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Someone hit my parked car, what do I do? [ 6 Answers ]

Today, someone hit my car as I was at a café. Damage includes a slight marking on my front bumper. They left their phone number on a note saying call this number please. She then told me what happened and said the marks would come off? They haven't come off, and I'm not too happy because I'm...

Am I Liable for Hitting an Illegally Parked Car? [ 3 Answers ]

I was driving down a non-residenial street here I Oklahoma City and hit a broken down car in the road. I didn't see the car in time because I was switching lanes as I was trying to pass the slower vehicle in front of me. The car I hit had no flashers on. Now the owner of the car is suing me for...

My car was parked and hit by someone claiming I am at fault. [ 8 Answers ]

I stepped out of the gas station today and sat in my car, ( I was parked in the parking area not next to the gas pumps), and as I was putting my keys in the ignition, "BUBUMP! My car got hit. A couple of guys standing around said "Wow, she was driving so close to you". I got out of the car and...

A lady hit my parked car and lied about it I did not see her hit it [ 4 Answers ]

A lady hit my parked car and lied about it I did not see her hit it but she told me she did

Someone hit my parked car do I file on their insurance [ 3 Answers ]

My car was parked at work. Someone hit my car while trying to enter the parking lot. The passenger side back light is broken and there are scratches and paint from the truck that hit my car on my car. I have had a police report completed. The report will be ready on Friday. I have notified my...

View more questions Search