Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LogLady73 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2015, 03:31 PM
    Staining problems wood
    I am in bigggg trouble. I have a beautiful office done in finished pine hung diagonally. Over the years we've hung diplomas, family pics etc. After 40 years in this home of ours - it's time to sell. When we took all the pics down - everything around them had patinaed and now we have all these light squares showing. I've tried sanding these areas with 220 grit and using Minwax Polyshades to darken them. I've mixed stains - no matter what I do, even if the light squares darken, there is still the edges of each pic space that don't blend. It's a big office and I was so hoping I could avoid sanding everything down and starting over. Even then, after all that effort - I still think the edges of each picture space will show. The office was originally done in Puritan Pine and urethaned in a Satin finish. After 16 yrs. The wood looks more like a dark golden oak. ( I tried that color. Didn't match.)
    I sanded too much in one spot trying different colors and now that spot just sucks up the color getting much darker than all the rest of the wood. Too much sanding. We built this home and did a lot of the work ourselves. I'm no stranger to paint and stain. But, this is beyond my abilities. It's not like I can rip a board off the wall and experiment. Can someone advise me what to do?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 22, 2015, 05:25 PM
    Either hit it all with a belt sander, or paint it, or let it be and let the buyers worry about it! Put a few pictures up to give them an idea of what it looked like.
    BUT
    BIG BUT
    The truth is that far, far fewer people want natural pine walls anymore, diagonal or otherwise. So I would take it all down...
    If you don't believe me about what buyers want, ask your agent.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 23, 2015, 07:59 AM
    Nothing to do except strip it back or paint as JP says. Stripping poly is a pain. I suggest paint as the cheapest option.
    JohnsPop Posts: 99, Reputation: 2

May 6, 2015, 08:10 PM
    Another vote for simply painting it. But I agree with Joypulv, I would ask my agent first and I'd do whatever they recommended for the best sell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Wood Staining Problems cedar exterior [ 2 Answers ]

Power washed and waited for beams to dry, applied cedar tint stain , now have some dark spots on the cedar beams . How do I remove spots and reseal?

Wood staining problems [ 1 Answers ]

what to do if the excess Minwax stain was not wiped off the floor and after 24hrs the boards are still sticky? thanks!

Wood staining [ 2 Answers ]

I have stained my casing and base mold both pine and after apllying my first coat of poly I have noticed white hazy marks on some of the pieces. I am not sure if it was my staining that caused this or the poly ontop of bad stain.

Wood staining [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to do my diningroom chairs over in a light finish. The chairs are walnut in color and I really don't want to use a paint because the wood grain would disappear. I like the shabby chic look I don't know if that's possible with a stain. If I have to use paint then I will but I would like...

Wood Staining [ 5 Answers ]

I recently had a headboard stained and after the topcoat dried it was very sticky to the touch. The same products were used earlier on other furniture with not problem. What causes this? How can I get rid of the sticky residue?

View more questions Search