Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    EvaInMichigan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 20, 2015, 08:30 AM
    Inappropriate comments from the President
    The President of my company tells me I need to "behave like a good wife" and "I want to see you working side by side, like sisters" with other female colleagues.
    Are these types of comments illegal? Or just inappropriate?
    Thank you for your feedback,
    Eva in Michigan
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 08:40 AM
    Are these types of comments illegal? Or just inappropriate?
    Neither (unless the context of the comments might make them inappropriate). What's the problem you have with the comments?

When I read the title, I figured it was about something the POTUS said. "So, what else is new?", I thought. :)
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 08:41 AM
    Why would he tell you this? Have there been problems at work?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 09:23 AM
    What was the context of these comments? Regardless, illegal doesn't seem to fit for sure. Nor does telling females to work together like sisters seem inappropriate to me either.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 11:11 AM
    Actually "work like sisters" to me brings up images of scrapping cats (probably not what he has in mind!). It would be better for him to say "work together like professionals," but I see no disrespect in that comment. However, I don't understand the "behave like a good wife" comment - does he mean "shut up and listen?" (some people may think that's what a "good" wife does), or does he mean "support the decisions made by the men?" or does he mean "be a team player." The first two interpretations are demeaning, but in my opinion do not rise to the level of harassment that would make it a hostile work environment. In any event this boss could use some sensitivity training.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 20, 2015, 12:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ebaines View Post
    ... The first two interpretations are demeaning, but ... In any event this boss could use some sensitivity training.
    If his (assuming the boss is a he) comments could (in context) mean one of the first two interpretations.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 20, 2015, 01:50 PM
    His comments aren't appropriate for work, but I don't see any legal problem for him.

By any chance do you and your female co-workers talk too much, too loudly, and reveal too much about your personal lives? And argue, or even fight?
    Then any one of you is in danger of losing your job. Worry about that first.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Our president [ 469 Answers ]

Hello: Those of us who supported Obama thought he was going to bring about the change he campaigned on. Those of you who opposed him thought he would too. We were both wrong. excon

President 50% Vice President 50% [ 5 Answers ]

I am the president and the vice pres won't do his job. Does he have to get the same salary as me or can he be fired as a sales person

Who made these comments about the president while his country was at war? [ 36 Answers ]

The war is "a wanton outrage upon the Constitution"; "the president's policies (have been) incredible, mendacious, ruinous, mischievous, disgraceful, dishonorable, reckless, and infamous." And, the president, "...waging war against the Constitution, was a free people's greatest enemy."

Best president [ 20 Answers ]

Who gets your vote as the best U.S. president during the past 50 years? Why?

President [ 10 Answers ]

Is it possible for Bill clinton to become president again?

View more questions Search