Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    crazee85 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2015, 10:17 PM
    Massachusetts Rental Deduction MFS with spouse living in different state
    Massachusetts income tax form instruction says this:

"How Do I Calculate My Rental Deduction If I Am Married Filing Separately?
    If married taxpayers file separate returns, they are each entitled to a rental deduction equal to 50% of the rent each pays, not to exceed $1,500 per return. However, a married couple filing separately may allocate the rent deduction differently, provided the amount taken by each spouse does not exceed 50% of the rent actually paid by that spouse, and provided their combined rental deductions do not exceed $3,000. If this results in one spouse claiming a deduction in excess of $1,500, that spouse must enclose with his/her return a statement signed by the other spouse indicating consent to the allocation. The statement must contain the name, address and Social Security number of the consenting spouse and the amount of rental deduction taken by that spouse."

How does the above apply if taxpayer is filing MFS and the spouse stays in a different state? Can the taxpayer claim the full $3000 with a statement from spouse indicating $0 rental deduction? Or will it be limited to $1500?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 14, 2015, 10:26 PM
    You can claim the full $3,000 for your share of the rent allocation, but your spouse has to provide a written statement that she agrees and consents to you claiming the full $3,000 deduction.
    crazee85 Posts: 82, Reputation: 1

Mar 26, 2016, 11:53 PM
    Last year, I did file the MA MFS tax return claiming the full $3000 rental deduction and sent along a written consent statement from spouse. However, Massachusetts sent a correction in income tax return limiting the rental deduction to $1500.

So I guess if the spouse doesn't live in MA, the spouse cannot really give the consent to use the other $1500?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Mar 27, 2016, 06:57 AM
    It looks that way.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Mar 27, 2016, 04:03 PM
    "and the spouse stays in a different state". I believe it only applies to BOTH spouses living in MA. Hard to imagine they would give you basically 2 exemptions when one is , for example, living in California. Interesting "loophole"

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

MFS/MFJ, spouse lives abroad, forms 2555 or 1116 [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I need expert advise on filing US taxes. I am a US resident alien. Got married last year. Wife lives and works in Canada; she visits me once/twice a month on weekends, but has never lived or worked in US. She also does not have SSN or ITIN. My income $94K; wife's income $136K. Wife...

US citizen filing MFS with non-resident spouse awaiting green card/ want ss# not ITIN [ 12 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US citizen who married a European in June 2011. He did NOT live in the US during 2011. He ONLY worked in Europe during 2011, no income in the USA. He came back to visit me in USA for Christmas 2011 and decided to quit his job and stay permanently. We filed AOS of his ESTA Visa and...

How do I file for divorce while living in different state than spouse [ 1 Answers ]

Married but live different state for 3 years, how do I file for divorce?

NYS taxes and itemizing vs. Standard deduction for MFS filers [ 1 Answers ]

Hi - If my spouse and I filed as married filing separately and itemized on our federal returns, do we then have to itemize on our NYS returns? I know we have to file in the same manner, i.e. "married filing separately" for NYS, but am confused as to whether we have the choice to take the...

Spouse never visted USA. MFS or MFJ [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I am on H1 Visa. My wife currently holds H4 but she never came to the US. Do I file jointly or separately. Which form do I use?

View more questions Search