Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2015, 02:52 AM
    Then pay him to move, offer him 1000 or 2000 to move out.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 16, 2015, 05:02 AM
    Evict him! Do you understand what an eviction is?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 16, 2015, 05:27 AM
    They are afraid, that the renter, will report the illegal apartment, the renter of the illegal apartment may also sue for all his rental money to be refunded since the apartment was not legal to rent. Also there would be fines from the local government because of the violations. Also if they did any remodel, without permits to allow for rentals, there could be fines and required changes to the home.

So this is why they are scared and do not want to take it to court. If the renter, wants revenge he has many options.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Apr 16, 2015, 06:35 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jammy23 View Post
    The woman who wants to buy the house also has an apt within the house.
    That's why he can't evict. That's two illegal apts.

That's just it. He really can't trust that he won't cause trouble. He seems to
    Be led by his daughter who is very unfriendly and probably doesn't want him
    To move in with her. The woman who wants to buy the house also has an
    Apt within the house and her own entrance... so he could get into a lot
    Of trouble.
    What we said a couple of weeks ago still applies. The owner can evict the man occupying the first " illegal apartment". The eviction court isn't going to care about whether it's "illegal", or whether there is a second "illegal apartment" in the premises. And if the daughter causes trouble with the building department, it again comes down to the circumstances under which either "illegal apartment" was created.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

What happens if a tenant who has been in an apt. for 3 months claims he has bed bugs. [ 3 Answers ]

Who is should pay when a tenant who has been in his apartment for three months claims he has bedbugs. Meanwhile all the other apartments where check and there is no sign of bedbugs. The problem lies only in the one apartment. Know the who building needs to be treated. The tenants that lived in the...

Can I tell my tenant not to smoke in the apt if it is not in the lease? [ 3 Answers ]

When I rented to apt I did not know that my tenant smoked. There is nothing in the lease pertaining to smoking other than if the landlord deems things for safety purposes. What are my rights to tell him not to smoke?

Current tenant apt being forclosed. Help please [ 4 Answers ]

I have read other scenarios similar 2 mine and tha answers. (he only difference with my problem is its and effect now. I received a letter and tha mail addressed to the heirs and legatees of my lanlord. I assumed that would be me so I opened it and it read Notice of Sale. Said there will be an...

Illegal apt squatter [ 4 Answers ]

I have an illegal apt rented and the tenant did not pay April rent. She has said she can't afford it. Can I shut down the electric and cable which I currently pay? This is in Long Island, NY Thank you

Landlord makes illegal apt. Below me [ 2 Answers ]

I am living in NY. My landlord has made an illegal apt. below me in the boiler room area. He has built a kitchen with stove, bathroom with tub and a sleeping area. He now has his son living there. He is making a lot of noise and I am afraid because he is a smoker and he is right by the boiler. Can...

View more questions Search