Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BobKusnirik Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Heil Gas Updaft Heater Starts & Stops
    I have a 20year old Heil gas updraft with electric start and it has stopped starting. I checked out all electrical connections and the pressure switch and all wiring seems to be OK. I cleaned the contacts anyway and checked all wires connected by wire nuts. I also had a heater man come out and he said the unit checks out fine. Of course it ran most of the time while he was here.

I can tap the heater or more particularly the manifold and it will start and run anywhere from 20 minutes to 5 hours and then stops again. Flame is good when it is running.
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 04:21 AM
    Bad ground!

Apr 10, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Thank you. I re-tightened the ground but still nothing... Bob
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Apr 10, 2007, 10:44 AM
    You have a intermittent problem and they are almost impossible to find as you have found out. I would start by hooking a volt meter up to the gas valve and when the furnace does not run see if you have 24 volts to the gas valve. If you do not work your way back up the control system until you find the defective item. The reason I mentioned the gas valve first is because it is mounted onto the manifold. Good luck.
    BTW if you do have voltage at the valve and it does not open you have found the problem.

Apr 11, 2007, 08:28 AM
    Thanks, I will try that at first chance. This is a big help. Will let you know how I make out.

Bob
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 11, 2007, 09:52 AM
    Go to the sticky at the top of the heating forum and find the sequence of operations for a gas furnace. Follow your furnace and see where the sequence stops. Then check that component.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Only in AM, gas furnace stops and starts [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have a Gaffers-Sattler furnace, about 40 years old. Runs great, but for one problem. In the morning around 5 or 6, I turn on furnace and it will heat up and run for about 5 to 6 minutes then stop for about 3 minutes and repeat this all morning long. (frustration as this is when its...

Bryant furnace starts then stops [ 3 Answers ]

My Bryant forced hot air furnace gets the signal to ignite, the pilot light and then the furnace lights but it goes out in a few seconds. This will happen over and over and then occasionally it might stay lit and warm the house. Any ideas of what this could be and how to fix it. Much...

Gas water heater & gas dryer [ 4 Answers ]

I just moved into an duplex and purchased a gas dryer in excellent condition from a local thrift store. My trouble is, I don't see anywhere to hook the gas line (from the dryer up). It looks like there is just an electrical outlet. Can someone help? Isn't there some kind of two prong gas line...

Water stops then starts [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: just recently when I have been taking a shower the water pressure slowly dies out until the water becomes just a trickle for about 2 minutes and then the pressure kicks bak in and the water returns to normal pressure. This has been happening more and more lately. It also happens in the...

1988 Honda Civic DX - Starts & Stops [ 3 Answers ]

I'm having problems getting my Civic to run consistently. It will run for about 3-4 miles and then stall out and won't start again until it cools off for a couple of hours. When I try to restart it, it sounds like it's going to start but it just won't go all the way. It goes through more coolant...

View more questions Search