Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ace7825 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 11, 2015, 01:58 PM
    Marriage? So confused!
    Hello everyone!

Here is my dilemma. I have been dating my girlfriend for 2 years and she loves me with all of her heart. I however have serious issues with even knowing what love is. I had a childhood where I wasn't shown how to love another person. In short, I am also a very superficial person which I admit is very shallow. My girlfriend and I broke up recently because I couldn't commit to marrying her and she deserves that. The main problem is that I am not sexually attracted to her. I have specific tastes and to be honest, she is not my physical type. That being said, absolutely everything about her is perfect for me except the physical part. I struggle to even want to have sex with her. I am constantly thinking that I am missing out on someone who is a better sexual fit for me. However, in the three weeks since we have been broken up, I can't think of another woman, being without her makes me almost sick. The emotional connection that we share is unbelievable! She is complete marriage material and if we were 65 and sex didn't matter... I would marry her in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I am only 36 and thinking about sacrificing my sexuality for the next 25 years scares me. Like I said, it feels like I can't breath without her but when I'm with her I am constantly thinking about other women sexually because I don't view her in a sexual way. I feel like I might be giving up the best woman in the world for me. I just don't know how the relationship could ever last if the sexual chemistry isn't there. Any thoughts and opinions are appreciated!
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 11, 2015, 05:04 PM
    You are learning about yourself and how to deal with your own emotions, and interactions with others. You aren't ready for marriage, you are still learning the differences between want, desire, love, and lust, friendship, and romance, and much much more.

How old are you?
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Mar 11, 2015, 05:16 PM
    36 He said.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 11, 2015, 05:25 PM
    Then I have to leave it at you don't want to marry her, so since she dumped you anyway, leave her alone so you can break the emotional attachment.
    Oliver2011 Posts: 2,606, Reputation: 746
    Ultra Member

Mar 11, 2015, 08:42 PM
    I agree. At some point in your life you will come to realize that beauty fades and the emotional connection doesn't. But if you can't give yourself to her then you probably shouldn't. And maybe later on that will be a regret. But only you will realize that.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 12, 2015, 09:37 AM
    I agree too.
    You admit to a superficial inability to really care about someone. I suspect that missing her is more about yourself than about her - you are just lonely. The second another available woman walks into your life, you will forget this one.
    You have done an admirable thing though, by admitting your limitations. That means there's hope for you. Consider some therapy.

You have yet to truly love a woman romantically? You say you are 'only' 36 in the context of future of sexlessness, but what about love. If this shallow existence is deeply entrenched, get some therapy, or you will repeat this forever.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Marriage confused [ 2 Answers ]

AsselamuAleikum, DR. ZAKIR My name is Ibrahim and I am originally from Africa but I live and work in KSA. I grew up in very good Muslim family Alhamdulilah. I consider myself as a good Muslim man inshallah. Right now, I have got an issue which is very difficult to tell my family even to convince...

Confused in my happy marriage [ 8 Answers ]

I am 27 yrs. Old and have been married to a wonderful man for 2 yrs. Now, he is 29 and is a very hard working, honorable, person and he treats me like gold, usually giving most anything I want within reason. We have been together a total of 3 1/2 yrs. And the first 2 were blissful, we were so in...

Confused about Marriage and Divorce [ 1 Answers ]

I had a church wedding in California 13 years ago. Now I want a divorce. However, my husband informed me that we were never legally married because the marriage was never recorded with the county or state recorder's office. I checked with the county recorder and there is not record of our...

Confused About My Marriage [ 3 Answers ]

I have now been married for 3 1/2 years. My wife and I argue, I know that every couple has its tiffs, but when we argue it is a fight and the question always comes up "maybe we should get a divorce". We have been trying to conceive for the past two years and with no luck. We are in our...

Confused in unhappy marriage [ 8 Answers ]

My husband and I have been married for 3 1/2 years. We have 2 girls (one from a previous relationship. She is 11 years old and a 3 year old). He is 7 years younger than I. We have been through a lot together. A serious medical illness, financial woes and a pregnancy right after our engagement....

View more questions Search