Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    andygriffiths Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 28, 2005, 01:28 PM
    Files opening with search
    When I click on a file in my documents it does not open. But the search panel comes up.
    walt17 Posts: 335, Reputation: 28

Feb 28, 2005, 05:04 PM
    Either you don't have the right program to open the file, or the right file association hasn't been made. Would you clarify what you mean by "search panel"?

Mar 1, 2005, 01:31 AM
    Opening files in my documents
    When you want to search for something files or documents etc. Search results is what's coming up when I try to open files in my documents. I can right click on a file and click on open, and the file will open as normal.
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2005, 06:10 AM
    Well this is a new one. Got no idea how to solve this one Andy but here are a few things to try/questions to answer.

• You could try opening My Documents, clicking on Tools >> Folder Options and then clicking every "Restore Defaults" button you see. This might reset some other settings though (like viewing hidden files etc.) so be prepared to have to change them back to how you want them if this doesn't help.
    • Are you just having this problem with a certain file type?
    • When you right click on these filles, is "Open" at the top of the right click menu and in bold? If not, that could be the problem.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2005, 08:34 AM
    Files
    Hi,
    This has to do with file associations.
    I am not absolutely sure this will solve the issue, but it's worth a try.
    Open My Documents.
    Then, Right click on a file.
    If it's a file such as myfile.doc, then it's a Word file, and you want it to open in Microsoft Word.
    After you Right click on the file, then Left click on Open With.
    A window will pop up with all the program names. You might also have to Browse to find the program name.
    Left click on Word, and then click on Apply, and OK.
    This means that any .doc file will now open in Word.
    If it's a jpeg or jpg file, then select a program to open it, such as Microsoft PictureIt or Paint Shot Pro, or whatever image program you have.
    That will associate all jpeg or jpg files with your image program.

Just for information:
    If you wish to add or subtract from an Experts' reputation, or show appreciation or discontent with
    An answer, click on the "balance scales" icon by the Experts' name. You can then choose what you wish.

Best wishes,
    fredg

Mar 1, 2005, 09:07 AM
    Opening files in my documents
    Quote Originally Posted by LTheobald
    Well this is a new one. Got no idea how to solve this one Andy but here are a few things to try/questions to answer.

• You could try opening My Documents, clicking on Tools >> Folder Options and then clicking every "Restore Defaults" button you see. This might reset some other settings though (like viewing hidden files etc.) so be prepared to have to change them back to how you want them if this doesn't help.
    • Are you just having this problem with a certain file type?
    • When you right click on these filles, is "Open" at the top of the right click menu and in bold? If not, that could be the problem.
    When I right click on these files, search is at the top of the right click menu, and it is in bold.
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Mar 1, 2005, 09:19 AM
    Howdy:

A quick search online found this possible fix for you..

Please remember, whenever working in the Registry, it is advisable to perform a Registry backup before making any changes!

Start Registry Editor (Regedt32.exe).

Locate and then click the Default value under the following keys in the registry if this problem occurs with folders:

HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell

If this problem occurs with drives:
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Drive\shell

Click Modify on the Edit menu.

Type none in the Value data box, and then click OK.

Quit Registry Editor.

Murray
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2005, 03:01 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by andygriffiths
    When i right click on these files, search is at the top of the right click menu, and it is in bold.
    That's the problem then. The default action for the file types has been changed from open, to search. No idea by what though.

Just follow either Fredq's or SESaskDFC's suggestions to fix it. My way was far too winded :P
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 2, 2005, 08:43 AM
    File Associations
    Hi,
    Very, very good, SESaskDFC.
    Thank you for the great information.
    Sure beats adding associations, one by one.
    Have a great day,
    fredg
    SESaskDFC Posts: 214, Reputation: 17

Mar 2, 2005, 08:56 AM
    No problem Fred.. Have a good one yourself..

Never knew about that one either (been doing it your way) but there just HAD to be something faster.. :)

Murray

Mar 3, 2005, 02:05 AM
    File association
    I started the registry, and located HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT. But I can not find
    HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\Directory\shell. It is just not there. :confused:
    Wendy225 Posts: 240, Reputation: 4

Mar 9, 2005, 08:34 AM
    Not sure
    It looks as if all of the experts here have done a thorough job of helping out on this one and exausted every known help for you, I have none myself, beyond what they have done, I have seen many problems and worked on them for years on computers, this one is new.

If after exhausting all these and any other ideas, if it means that much to you, then reformat, it will surely correct all problems, either save everything to CD or DVD, get a 2nd cheap hard drive and backup everything, then reformat, and from what I know of computers, there has to be something you have done for this to happen, its possible a program or something you installed altered this and caused the problem, but it sound like you may have played around with your registry and messed something up.

Save or move y our files you want open into another folder maybe or reformat.

Try Spyware/Adware programs, run some registry cleaners, do an online free virus scan, run your own virus scan, get a good reliable defragging program, like Diskpeeper pro or O&O defrag or Perfectdisk all offer free demos, and use them, also try this,

Go to start/run type in chkdsk run that then do it again and this time type in chkdsk /f and then type y for yes to run when you restart,

Then go to start/run type in cmd and then type in sft/scannow and have your Windows Cd ready as it will scan your system to check on your windows protected files and make sure they are all safe and intact, if they are not, it will ask you to insert your Windows CD so it can copy them for you, it may take a good long time for this one to run, have patience, if after all this it won't work still, reformat if it's that important at the least you will have a clean running system after all that. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Unwanted backup(?) files/"ghost" files [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I have been getting these strange files that activate when I open Microsoft word documents. They are like shadow files. And also they appear in My Photo section too. Here is some information I have copied from the property boxes of the files. I have done virus scans on these "ghost"...

Search for pdf files [ 14 Answers ]

Hello, How can I do a search and get a result only for the pdf files. Thanks

Nba live 2004 crack files/patch files [ 2 Answers ]

Can anybody help me find the crack and patch files on nba live 2004. I badly need it co'z I don't have a cd rom which is needed to play. You may send it to my email add.>Removed<

Opening .fox files [ 3 Answers ]

I have a whole bunch of .fox file that I want to view. Can anybody tell me what I need to do that? Thanks.

View more questions Search