Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wanderingabout2 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2015, 11:23 AM
    Unauthorized use of credit card for $50
    I was accused of using a credit card without permission for merchandise adding up to $50.. I was called by a detective and ask to come to the station to fill out some paper work saying that I admit to it. The same night I admitted to it, the victim told me she doesn't want money but wants me to fix it by apologizing, so I did apologize and re-admitted it to her over the internet. However two nights ago on the internet she was constantly harassing me and having others harass me too, I called the police about this and they gave me a form to fill out for a statement, but they told me to hang onto it until needed and that the officer would call the victim and tell her to knock it off and delete the posts defaming me.. she said she was going to press charges but it seemed like she was bluffing. Whereas I'm in Massachusetts and I have no past theft convictions, it says I cannot receive imprisonment, so I'm just wondering since I have not gotten any sort of court summons or details regarding what is happening, what is the most she can really do, especially if I told her and the detective that I'd make a full restitution to her? It's been 8 days and nothing has happened yet, and I just would like to know what's going on and what could happen?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 10, 2015, 12:36 PM
    We can't see or hear your apology.
    Maybe she wanted you to be more sorry. Maybe your apology was weak. Who knows? You should have insisted on paying every dime back, in person, in cash, with at least one witness present who is over 18.

You won't go to jail. Stay off the social sites for at least a month and let this wear out! I hope you weren't mouthing off in responses. You were WRONG to use the card and your job is to be sorry for a long time, with no excuses, and no fighting back! Tell her you are staying away for a month without a word. After you give her the money. In fact, have someone else deliver it.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 10, 2015, 01:11 PM
    ... so I'm just wondering since I have not gotten any sort of court summons or details regarding what is happening, what is the most she can really do ...
    The most she can do is have the authorities prosecute you and seek punishment to the full extend of the law. If a criminal case has not yet been instituted, be thankful, and resolve never to get into criminal trouble again.

Mar 10, 2015, 01:59 PM
    Thanks for your responses, I've offered to make the restitution and I can do that through the detective, I've got no letter/summons/phone call as to what's going on yet, and it's been 8 days.. I know I was in the wrong to do this, and no I wasn't mouthing off in responses, I only stated that I'll make the restitution to her. Again, thank you all.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 10, 2015, 06:06 PM
    Prosecutors have plenty of cases to handle. I can't see a prosecutor spending time on this. Especially since the victim initially stated she didn't want to. The police seemed to have handled this well. I suspect they convinced the victim not to push for prosecution.

I wouldn't worry about being prosecuted, and if she continues to harass you may have a case against her. Save copies of her posts but DO NOT respond. Continue to report her posts to the police.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 10, 2015, 08:15 PM
    If you already went in and signed a confession ( I may have issues with that from a defense attorney view point) depending on the evidence.

But it can take (depending on where you live) from about 30 days to 90 days for the court to send you a summons to appear (or pay a fine in some locations)

From the criminal side, you may get a fine (500 dollars or less) and be required to pay back the person. About the only way you could end up in jail, is not appearing in court or not paying the fine.

On the harassment, while they should not, OK, you used someone else's credit card, it appears this person knows you. So suck it up and expect them to harass you some. The harassment could get your case for use of the card dismissed.

But depending on what the harassment is, emails merely saying you are a crook, or them posting the truth on places like Facebook? Nothing illegal on telling the truth normally.

Mar 11, 2015, 12:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem View Post
    Prosecutors have plenty of cases to handle. I can't see a prosecutor spending time on this. Especially since the victim initially stated she didn't want to. The police seemed to have handled this well. I suspect they convinced the victim not to push for prosecution.

I wouldn't worry about being prosecuted, and if she continues to harass you may have a case against her. Save copies of her posts but DO NOT respond. Continue to report her posts to the police.

In one of the posts that she was harassing me in, she had noted in the comment section to another of her friends that the police have it on file (which they do) and they were waiting for her decision on what to do, but since she told them she wanted me to try to fix it, and where she was harassing me I'm not sure if she's actually going to press charges or not.. but your answer is exactly what I thought, even the detective on the night of the admittance form signing said it was silly to be "locked up" for something like this, so I hope that you are right. Thanks again.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 11, 2015, 06:49 AM
    What OP describes is not criminal "harassment". See Computer crime - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Being sued for credit card debt by law firm representing credit card company [ 7 Answers ]

Well, its happened. I have received a summons for a credit card debt by law firm. I have to go to the county court house to talk with the clerk... (not sure what will happen,never been sued before)If I don't go within 20 days, they say they will start proceedings to garnishing my wages. I do owe...

Petty theft w/ unauthorized use of credit card [ 1 Answers ]

I was a cashier. A lady forgot her credit card for there store so I did an account look up and printed the lady a temporary charge card. After the lady made her purchases, she left, and left her temporary charge card. I put a $20 gift card on the ladies card without her consent. The store found out...

Unauthorized credit report pulling? [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I are scheduled to have a pre-trial hearing for a lawsuit brought by our former landlord's management company. The suit came out of nowhere, after three years of silence from the company. When we moved out of the apartment, we were sent a letter stating that we owed them over $500...

Unauthorized Charge on card and release of private information to a third party [ 1 Answers ]

I have been out of work due to illenss and my storage unit was in arrears, when I called to see how much I owed I was told the account was current I asked how and she said it was paid for on my credit card, I told the rep that I did not have a credit card and she looked it up and said it was the...

View more questions Search