Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gtinoco Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2015, 12:54 PM
    2001 Mazda Tribute won't start...AGAIN.
    Hello everyone, this is my first time posting and I need some answers. I have a 2001 Mazda Tribute v6. I have had it for a year now. I bought it from a used dealership and it all of the sudden it stopped working. It used to turn on just fine and then start shaking where I would have to put my car in park and step on the gas a little so it wouldn't turn off on me, because sometimes it would just shut off at the stop lights.

One day it just wouldn't turn on for nothing it would crank over but couldn't get it to start. We ended up getting a jump and decided to take it to see if the battery was bad. We ended up getting a new battery because ours was a bad one. They also checked the starter and alternator and said they were good. Next day started up good no problem took it to a mechanic and said everything looked good and even check the codes and said nothing wrong.

The next day the car wouldn't start for nothing. I tried jumping it again nothing. We changed the fuel filter nothing, spark plugs, nothing. We checked the fuel pump and fuel line and fuel is good it still cranks over but doesn't start. I'm clueless and that's my only car. I have no direction of where I'm going with this now.

Please help I'm desperate for answers 😢
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 8, 2015, 02:26 PM
    Check for spark. You may need to replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor and the Camshaft Position Sensor. When these sensors intermittently fail, they often don't throw a code. More than 90% of crank but won't start situations are electrical related, not fuel.

Mar 8, 2015, 08:12 PM
    Thank you, ill definitely try that and ill get back to you, Thank you!

Mar 9, 2015, 01:29 PM
    It worked but...
    Thank you TxGreaseMonkey,

It was indeed the Crankshaft Position Sensor. After we replaced it, it started right back up. We took it for a test drive and turned it off and on, perfectly fine. I ended up driving it to the store and when I came out I tried starting it and it just cranks the first 2 times then the 3rd it started up again. I came home turned it off and turned it back on again, same thing crank over 2 times and started the 3rd time, what can be wrong this time... ???
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Mar 9, 2015, 02:33 PM
    Thoughts:

. Check the fuel pressure--the fuel rail needs to be fully pressured, in order for the engine to start. Try this test. Turn the ignition switch to ON, wait for the fuel pump to stop running, and then turn the ignition switch OFF. Repeat this process two more times. On the final time, turn the ignition switch to START. This will fully pressurize the fuel rail, before you attempt to start the engine. If it consistently solves the problem, the fuel pump is losing pressure and likely failing.

. Did you also replace the Camshaft Position Sensor?

. Check the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV)--the pintel valve may not be opening enough at start-up and the engine is not receiving enough air. Consider cleaning the throttle plate and throttle body and installing a new IACV. It's likely held on by two 8mm bolts--simply remove the bolts, replace the gasket, bolt on the new IACV, and reconnect the connector. This is one of those parts where it's best to go OEM. This is a strong possibility of what's wrong, since you also mentioned it would shake and stall at stop lights. At start-up and at stop lights, the IACV controls how much air the engine receives. Afterwards, install a new air filter.

. Attach an advanced scan tool to the data link connector and check for any pending codes--it may give you a better understanding of what the problem is.

. Check the ignition switch for wear, pitting, or melting.

. Fully charge the battery, which most auto parts stores will do for free, after all of the attempts to start the vehicle.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Mazda tribute 2001 auto [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mazda tribute auto 2001 with the over drive off light constantly flashing .have tried turning engine off and pressing column button which put flashing light out, but when I start the engine and go a short distance and give extra revs light flashers again.is this a major problem or is...

2001 mazda tribute won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2001 mazda tribute that won't start we checked the spark and fuel pump they are fine but for some reason it won't start

Mazda Miata 2001 won't start [ 2 Answers ]

Miata won't start some days. The garage checked the battery a d the alternator and they are fine. I jump started it. They suggested that the next time have it towed to them. Any ideas?

How to tighten a alternator belt on a 2001 mazda b3000 [ 1 Answers ]

I tried spraying some belt degreaser and it seemed to help until I got down the road, anyway it's a 2001 mazda b3000 dual sport 2wd and I cannot figure out how to tighten the alternator fan belt on it, the alternator does not rotate up or down so I cannot tighten the belt, if you know please let me...

2001 Mazda Tribute [ 2 Answers ]

I just replaced the upper and lower intake manifold gaskets on my mazda, in addition to the pcv valve, spark plugs and the corroded vacuum lines. I used fuel injector spray cleaner to clean the throttle body also. I started it up and it ran a little rough at first, but then cleared up was...

View more questions Search