Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    krawhitham Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2015, 03:30 AM
    dice probability
    Hi everyone,

This is not a homework question and it has been quite some time since I tried to work anything like this out:

I roll three 6-sided dice three times. Two of the dice are white and the third is black. When the two white dice show a total result of 9 or higher then the result of the black die is checked.

I want to calculate the odds of rolling 9 or higher on the white dice AND getting the same result on the black die 3 time in a row EXCEPT a 6 (eg getting three 1's in a row).

So I can calculate getting a result of 9 or more on two dice three times in a row and I can calculate the odds of getting the same result three times on the black die, excluding a 6. Where my brain melts is combining the two sets of probabilities.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Mar 8, 2015, 11:05 AM
    If I understand the game correctly, to win you must roll 9 or greater three times in a row with the white dice AND have the 2nd and 3rd toss of the black die equal the first toss of the black die. Since these are independent events you can simply multiply the probabilities of each:

1. Probability of rolling 9 or greater with two dice: there are 4+3+2+1 = 10 ways to roll a 9 or greater out of 36 total possible combinations of rolling two dice. So the odds of getting 9 or greater on one roll of two dice is 10/36. The odds of rolling 9 or greater three times in a row is (10/36)^3.

2. Probability of the 2nd and 3rd roll of the black die equaling the first roll of the black die is (1/6)^2.

The total probability of winning this game is therefore (10/36)^3 x (1/6)^2 = 1000/1679616 = 0.00059537, or approximately 1 in 1680 attempts.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Probability of Four Fair Dice [ 1 Answers ]

Hi all, I am having some problem with The Binomial Distribution. I am given some questions on this topic... I did find out the answer, but I am not sure whether I am right or not... Suppose there are four fair dice. Q1:

Probability of three fair dice [ 2 Answers ]

I am taking stats modeling, its suppose to be a 5000 level course, but right now I have doing review homework, its been 2 years since prob, and this problem is driving me crazy. It should only take 2 min and I can't for gods sake get it. roll three 6 sided fair dice, what's probability that you...

Dice Probability [ 3 Answers ]

Suppose you roll 4 dice. a) What is the probability that you get 4 different numbers? b) What is the probability that you get '2 pairs' (two of one number and two of another number?) c) Now suppose that you continue rolling 4 dice over and over until you get either get '4 different...

Dice probability [ 1 Answers ]

Dice

View more questions Search