Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Decorator Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 5, 2015, 09:40 PM
    Noise in wall
    We hear loud bangs in two walls in one room of the house. It's loud enough that it makes you jump. My husband has checked under the house for cracks or moving or cracked wood, there are no cracks on the brick fireplace or mirrors on the wall. It sounds like someone is hitting the wall with a baseball bat. What could it be. Earlier tonight it was on the wall with the glass French doors. The house is only 20 years old and this has been going on for a couple of years. We could really use your help. Thank you Jill ...... **** moderators note... email edited out

This has nothing to do with water, there are no pipes in these 2 walls. When it happens on the French Door wall it sounds like a large bird flew into the glass. It's loud. It makes us jump.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 6, 2015, 05:54 AM
    Where are you located? How long have you owned the house? Are other houses around you built by the same builder? Do you have a poured concrete foundation? What are the floors made of? Is the fireplace on an inside or outside wall? Does it have a typical full brick chimney, or flue?

(Wood can make really loud noises when contracting or expanding, without always being evident. Concrete foundations can sink without cracks. My parent's house had an attached carport with the center post on a 4' concrete pier that sank 10 inches, making the whole roof bulge upwards in the middle, and it wasn't all that evident without peering at all the lines of sight.)
    Grady White Posts: 1,417, Reputation: 59
    Ultra Member

Mar 6, 2015, 07:47 PM
    Are there any air ducts in those walls?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Noise in Wall [ 1 Answers ]

I have something similar happening. My home is only 18 months old. The upstairs bathroom has a double sink, but when the water is run in the sink closets to the door, it sounds like water is hitting against the outerside of the downstairs shower wall. (Downstairs is a one piece garden tub.) I...

Noise in wall [ 6 Answers ]

Just bought a house that uses a water well. When I turn on the bathtub faucet or the bathroom sink faucet, a noise starts in the wall after a bit. It sounds like a motor turning on and off repeatedly until the water is turned off. Thought it may be the sound of the well tank filling up but...

Noise in the wall [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I have a 2 year old house, there is a sound in a 5 meter area of the walls for the past 4 months like dirt falling down - Im hoping its not termites, any thoughts Brendan from Melbourne

Noise in wall [ 1 Answers ]

I've read the other questions on noises in wall but those were cominf from a bathroom this noise is in my children's bedroom wall and is like a vibrating noise it goes for 2 seconds stops goes for 3 sec stops over and over again had an electrician come out couldn't find anything its driving me...

View more questions Search