Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thenewgirl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2015, 06:57 PM
    Leave without pay during inclement weather
    I live in Maryland. I am a new employee (February 9) with a company that has a contract with the government. My office is in a Government building, and my supervisor is in another city in a private office. The day after President's day, we had a storm. The government office closed and she closed her office. She reduced my pay and said that since I did not have accrued vacation time, it was "leave without pay". She called it liberal leave. I would agree, if there was an office somewhere open to work in, and I chose to stay home. We are expecting another storm tomorrow, and I now have 3 hours of accrued vacation. I am anticipating that when the government and our project office close, I will lose my few vacation hours and again be docked for the remainder. It is my understanding that if I do not have vacation time, it is not legal for her to not pay me. I am a salaried employee. If that is the case, should I speak to her about it. I am new, and I don't want to create a reputation for myself as a grumbler or troublemaker. However, this will be the second day this month I won't be paid.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 4, 2015, 08:04 PM
    If the office closes early, you have to be paid for the day if you showed up. As a salaried employee, you cannot be docked for less than a day. If the office closes before work starts, then you could be forced to take accrued time off.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 4, 2015, 09:29 PM
    You must take vaction time (or sick time) or lose the day pay, The idea and concept of salary is not what it used to be. You have to work over, with no extra pay, but if you miss work, they can deduct that for full days.

So yes, they may take the money out (unless you have other wording in your contract) for the full day.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pay While On Medical Leave [ 2 Answers ]

I work as a manager for a retail corporation I am paid a weekly salary. I broke my ankle not on the job. Applied for a FMLA (family medical leave of absense). I had to use my vacation days to still receive a paycheck that was only 2 weeks. Being on salary should I not get at least a portion of...

Fees to pay for US Leave [ 5 Answers ]

Do us Military families have to pay fees before their loved ones can get leave when serving in Afhganastan

Do I have to pay back maternity leave pay or disability pay? [ 0 Answers ]

I'm going out on disability next week for about three-four weeks. After that, I'll be having a baby and I'll get 6 weeks maternity pay at 50%. Do I have to pay my company back for this if I quit while on leave? My benefits are under my husband.

Tenants can't pay rent, will not pay in the future, but will not leave. Please help! [ 10 Answers ]

My tenants have a lease purchase contract with us. They are to give us 30 days notice if they cannot pay rent or decide not to purchase the home or we can take immediate ownership of the property. I listen to excuses every month when they are 2 weeks late on payments and have not charged them...

Tenant Will Not Pay Or Leave [ 3 Answers ]

I Have A 3br House Of Which I Live In One Room And Rent Out The Other 2 Rooms To Separate Tenants On A Weekly Lease. The Rent Is Due Every Friday. One Tenant Has Refused To Pay Me For 3 Weeks And I Wrote Him A 5 Day Eviction Notice And Now He Refuses To Leave For Another 30 Days. He Sd That He...

View more questions Search