Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shoshana82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 3, 2015, 10:28 AM
    Salary and PTO
    I work for a large company in Washington State and I am a salary employee. 3 times a year we have a work function outside of normal business hours that we are required to attend. We are now being told that if we do not attend our PTO will be deducted for the time we miss at the function. Normally we do not put this event on our time sheet, so if I don't go I would need to put this on my time sheet so my PTO could be deducted, meaning I would then be paid for it. Is this legal?
    Also since this event takes place further away than my place of work shouldn't I then be paid mileage? I was told I couldn't be reimbursed for parking because it's a Sunday and I could park on the street for free.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Mar 3, 2015, 02:08 PM
    If the boss says do it, then do it the bosses way. Make sure you got the instructions right. If he says NO to the mileage, don't push it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 3, 2015, 07:22 PM
    If it is in the same city and not really that far, payment for travel is not always done. How you are paid, depends on your payment method, salary, hourly or how?
    For parking, no, if street parking is available, why would they give lot parking fee. In fact, I worked for a Company in St. Louis, they would never pay for parking fees, they wanted us to park illegal at meter without paying, they would pay a fine if we ever got one. They had estimated that it was cheaper to pay a fine, now and then, than to pay daily parking all the time.

Companies decide many rules, it appears this is a infrequent event.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 4, 2015, 06:23 AM
    PTO (Paid Time off)?

Companies are not required to give paid time off. Therefore, they can set the rules for how they deal with it. They do have to apply those rules equally to everyone without discrimination. They should also be published as part of the PTO policy. So it is not, necessarily, illegal.

As for the parking, again, if they feel that, since street parking is available, it is your choice to pay for parking so reimbursement is not applicable.

One thing I don't get, though. You said: "[COLOR=#333333]if we do not attend our PTO will be deducted". I took this to mean that your PTO allotment would be reduced. Not that you would have to apply the time towards PTO. As a salaried employee. You wouldn't necessarily get extra pay for this time. So it appears that the company is requiring attendance and is using this as punishment for non attendance. [/COLOR]

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Salary expense 43000, Salary payable 11000, end of year 12500. How much cash was paid [ 1 Answers ]

Salary expenseon the books was 43000. Salary payable at the payable at the beginning of the year was 11000 and at the end of the year was 12500. How much cash was paid out of salaries?

Hi , my annual salary is 1,99,448 pa, basic salary:69,807, company allowance: 44,602 [ 1 Answers ]

HI , MY ANNUAL SALARY IS 1,99,448 PA, Basic Salary:69,807, COMPANY Allowance: 44,602,House Rent Allowance 34,904, LTA 15,000,Medical 15,000, Advance Statutory Bonus 8,400, Employer's Contribution to Provident Fund 8,377, Gratuity (as per payment of Gratuity Act) 3,358 , SO NOW U COULD PLEASE...

Docked pay because PTO is gone, but I am a salary employee. Can he do this? [ 7 Answers ]

:confused: I am a salary employee in the state of NY. I have 15 days of PTO(paid time off) I just got a email from my boss telling me he docked me 3 days pay, because I was over my 15 day limit of PTO. Is it legal for him to do this? It was my assumption that as salary employees you got paid...

Pto hours and salary [ 3 Answers ]

I was told if you are on salary and you work mor than four hours a day, that if you leave early that day that they should not deduct it from your pto hours or your check. Is that true?

View more questions Search