Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dolphinscrying6 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2015, 11:37 AM
    Can a roommate legally throw out your possessions?
    I live with a couple that keeps threatening me to be kicked out. I am all the way from Michigan and now live in Seattle, WA. All my possessions are in their attic. What are my rights if they do kick me out??
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 27, 2015, 11:44 AM
    No roommates, landlords, or building managers can throw out your possessions under the law, until a formal eviction is final, and even then there is often a statute about not throwing them out. Doesn't mean they won't, however, so tell us the story. You also sort of mix possessions with you yourself (being evicted?), so clarify that too.
    I'm not going to look up the laws until you do.
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 27, 2015, 12:10 PM
    Are you a minor?

Are you working?

Are you behind in rent?

Why do they want to kick you out?

The most obvious seems to simply move.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 27, 2015, 12:37 PM
    You better make arrangement for your stuff, since you now live in one place and your stuff is in another. If they are getting no rent from you, then after a while is it not abandoned? When do you intend to return? So far they just threaten, but unless you make your intentions clear, they can take more decisive and lawful actions to get rid of you, and stuff.

You need to act, unless there is a lot more to your story. At least heed their WARNINGS.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 27, 2015, 10:51 PM
    Are you paying rent, are you still living in their home? If you have moved away and merely left your belongings, they do not have to store them forever and may dispose of them after giving you proper time and warning to pick them up.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 2, 2015, 07:44 AM
    The couple are your landlords. Are they in Michigan and you have moved from there to Seattle? Do you expect that they would have to keep you stuff for you forever, or what?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 2, 2015, 02:35 PM
    You are not being clear. Did you move from Michigan leaving stuff in your former landlord's attic? Or did you move to Seattle and are storing your stuff in your new landlord's attic.

They cannot just throw you or your stuff out. They must obtain a valid court order to do so.

But why do they keep threatening?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 3, 2015, 07:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    ... They cannot just throw you or your stuff out. They must obtain a valid court order to do so.

But why do they keep threatening?
    If they gave OP written notice that, after a specified time (as required by law), they would throw the stuff out, and if OP then failed to make arrangements for disposition of the stuff (pick it up, etc.), I expect that they could throw it out. Perhaps that's what OP means by "threatening".

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I legally evict a roommate... as soon as possible? [ 4 Answers ]

I let my sister in law move in to my house in which I currently have a 12 month lease. She is not on the lease and I need to get rid of her. She is always late or short with the rent and I believe she is doing drugs. I want her out but I want to do it legally so she has no recourse other than to...

How to legally evict a roommate [ 2 Answers ]

I recently signed a lease with a homeowner where the agreement is to fix up the place in lue of three months rent. I have two guys who I allowed to stay at the home in trade for working on the house. They left the project for nearly three weeks, so no work was being done. Now back they still have...

Am I legally kicking out my roommate? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Illinois and last night me and my boyfriend gave our roommate 30 days notice of eviction. Now she is saying that I cannot legally kick her out because she has paid rent and everything else. Problem is, she is NOT on the lease. I have talk to local authorties and the county clerk because...

Getting a roommate out legally. [ 2 Answers ]

We are home owners in Idaho. We let a guy stay with us for a while, now we want him OUT! There are no signed agreements. Do we need to do anything legally to get him out?

How can I legally force my roommate out? [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I live in Florida and I own my condominium. I allowed a friend to move it to get out of unhappy situation, but it's just not working out. I gave her a 30 day notice via email. She proceeded to advise me that she would leave in 30 days if she had the money, if not, she wasn't going anywhere. ...

View more questions Search