Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    renedrake Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2015, 02:31 PM
    Taxes and who claims
    My daughter is the custodial parent. Her and her son, my grandson live with me and do NOT get financial child support for my grandson's father. The father is involved in my gandson's life in that he has him every other weekend and occasionally during the week. He pays part of a 2 day preschool.

This year he thinks he should be able to claim my grandson on his taxes as a dependent.

It seems to me that since I claim my daughter (under 24 and in school) that we should also claim out grandson. He lives here without any financial support. Why would the baby daddy get to take advantage of tax deductions when I, his grandmother pay the mortgage, utilities, insurance, cell phone etc.

Frustrated Nana
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2015, 04:03 PM
    Daughter divorced? What does the settlement say?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 24, 2015, 05:17 PM
    The father cannot claim the child unless the mother lets him, in writing. She has him more than half the time. You can claim the child under "Member of Household or Relationship Test" sub category "Relatives Who do not Have to Live With You." (Not live with you FULL TIME, because he spends part time with his father.) I assume that your daughter isn't working?

This is all under Qualifying Child in the IRS booklet. It goes on for pages and is complicated. You might want to pay a small fee to a tax preparer to put this in writing. The 'baby daddy' of course can retaliate by refusing to pay for pre-school. Was it court ordered? Just be forewarned, it doesn't always work out well financially, so pick your battles carefully.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Divorce Agreement on who claims children on taxes [ 6 Answers ]

My ex and I drew up in our settlement agreement that he could claim our youngest child on his taxes each year. Well he didn't pay child support, didn't work more than, 3 months, then left the country to avoid child support enforcement. Can I claim my child even though the divorce settlement...

Who claims the kids on taxes? [ 1 Answers ]

My ex and I finalized the divorce in 2003. I have full custody and he gets supervised visits with them. It has been 3 1/2 years since he has seen the kids. He was very sparodic in support payments and gave me impression he wouldn't file his tax return cause he would owe a lot. I claimed them...

Who claims the children on their taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I am recently divorced and we have joint custody with me as the primary physical and legal custodian of the children. Does this mean I can claim both children or is he entitled to claim one of the two?

Quit claims and new taxes [ 1 Answers ]

I need to transfer title to a property. Will the taxes from the previous owner remain the same once a quit claim / transfer of ownership remain or will today's taxes be assessed now? The house was purchased many years ago when taxes were much lower. Thanks Mike

Claims with taxes [ 1 Answers ]

Can claim head of the house hold if my husband did not work the whole year ?

View more questions Search