Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sandylulu1 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2015, 12:23 PM
    Adequate size for water supply line to house...
    Looking for insights into what the minimum size the water supply line should be from the street to the house. We are considering buying a home and we noticed the supply is only 1/2". We have been living with a 3/4" line so we are familiar with that capacity.
    Is 1/2" adequate for modern lifestyle? 2-3 people in the house with 1 & 1/2 baths. Dishwasher and washing machine. Plenty of garden watering/car washing in the summer time. I am certain it's adequate to do any one thing at a time. Just concerned with trying to take a shower and do a load of wash or water garden at the same time? It just seems undersized to us... thoughts? Thanks...
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 24, 2015, 01:16 PM
    Hi Sandy

Most homes have a 3/4" minimum water line. The home you speak of probably has a 1/2" main piping AFTER the water meter, but I'd be willing to bet that the water main coming into the building is 3/4". If this is the case, the main water line can be increased in size after the water meter to meet your needs, if required.

Mark

Feb 24, 2015, 01:19 PM
    Name:  IMG_4859.JPG
Views: 303
Size:  2.10 MBHi Mark thanks for your reply... no the line into the house BEFORE the meter is 1/2".

Sorry photo is so large....???
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2015, 03:52 PM
    Must be a pretty old set up. Meter is inside the house! 1/2" is outdated . Flow the faucets and the tub. What kind of flow? Average flow for 1/2 is about 14-15 GPM

Feb 24, 2015, 04:00 PM
    Hi ma0641,

House built in 1960. Can't flow the water. House is a foreclosure and is currently winterized.
    I think we have to assume we will need to change it out. Any advice going forward with that? Do we go 3/4" or 1" ?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 24, 2015, 07:29 PM
    You won't find it inexpensive to do. From the street run 1", assuming the location will supply a 1" meter. Try to get meter in a street box. That way they won't have to come into the house to read the meter. Next bet 3/4". If you are going to do a DIY project, swap out copper to CPVC and take all the copper to a recycle place and sell it. You will typically run PVC or black Poly to the inside shut off. If you do convert to CPVC, you will need to install an outside ground rod, possibly 2, to reconnect your copper ground wire currently on the meter base. BTW, have never seen a meter like that one.

Feb 25, 2015, 02:39 AM
    The meter is what they call a "proportional sampling meter". Not all the water coming into the home has to actually go through the meter. I have never seen one either. The meter is read remotely. There is a remote reading meter on the exterior of the home that is read electronically somehow- so no access is necessary.

The water company did that with the home I am in now as well, except they mounted it on the actual meter in the basement and they can still read it remotely.

Many thanks for your insights ma0641...
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 25, 2015, 10:52 PM
    1/2" is definitely undersized. Should be 1". In my area of operation, they don't even install 3/4" water meters anymore as 3/4" pipe is considered to be too small to supply enough water volume - even for the smallest single family dwelling

Hope that helps

Milo

Feb 26, 2015, 02:31 AM
    That is our thinking as well Milo. It helps to have people in the know and with experience in these things confirm. Many many thanks for taking the time to reply... much appreciated.
    Mike45plus Posts: 230, Reputation: 27

Feb 26, 2015, 05:18 AM
    Sandy,
    If you install a new plastic water service pipe, please make sure to run a tracer wire next to the water line. We use ties wraps to fasten the wire ( rated for direct burial ) to the new water main piping...

Feb 26, 2015, 06:09 AM
    Good advice Mike... thank you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Supply Line Size- 3 Full Baths [ 4 Answers ]

What size supply line is required for 3 Full Baths. We are on City(St. Louis) water supply.

Supply line won't stop running. Main water supply off [ 3 Answers ]

I was doing some bathroom remodeling and attempted to remove an old supply valve. It would not budge so I decided to cut the copper tubing underneath it and put on a new shutoff valve with a compression fitting. The problem is that water just kept coming out of that supply line. The main water...

Adequate conduit size for range and water heater wire [ 1 Answers ]

I want to place pvc conduit in walls that I am going to close up with drywall. The jobsite is a detached garage, into an apt. previously unfinished. I would like to have the conduit in wall so when I get to the point where I can afford the appliances and conductor I can move forward. There will be...

Supply line size [ 2 Answers ]

http://home.comcast.net/~lpeery1/images/plumbing.jpg I need to run supply lines for a bar sink, toilet, bath sink all sharing the same wall (3 colds, 2 hots). Should the two horizontal supply lines I bring over off the main 3/4 inch lines be 1/2 inch or 3/4. Thanks, Larry

View more questions Search