Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    callisto9 Posts: 32, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 06:04 PM
    Chimney cap blew off!
    I finally found the right size chimney cap (size 7) for my chimney. My home inspector recommended it so I didn't get rain down my chimney. Cap looks like this:

Amazon.com: Vent Pipe Caps: BIC Superstore

I bought a tin one online for about $11 and last weekend, the boyfriend placed it on top of the chimney. Two days later, it was in my front yard. :rolleyes:

How do I secure this thing?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 06:15 PM
    What did the BF to to attach the cap, hope it wasn't just friction.

Apr 9, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1
    What did the BF to to attach the cap, hope it wasn't just friction.
    There IS nothing to attach the cap. He just set in on the chimney. How are we supposed to attach the thing? We're n00bs.

Apr 9, 2007, 06:43 PM
    A lot depends on the type of chimney you have. It could be metal, tile or brick. Tile or brick you slide the cap tube inside and attach with refractory cement or stove cement. If its metal there should be a small collar sticking up for you to screw into.

Apr 9, 2007, 06:58 PM
    A lot depends on the type of chimney you have. It could be metal, tile or brick. Tile or brick you slide the cap tube inside and attach with refractory cement or stove cement. If its metal ther should be a small collar sticking up for you to screw into.
    He's not sure what the chimney was made of. He thinks maybe fiberglass, or something similar. The cap could not fit inside the chimney. Are they supposed to fit INSIDE the chimney? I thought they were supposed to go outside of the chimney.

Any other ideas?
    Kstar4u Posts: 255, Reputation: 22

Apr 9, 2007, 10:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by callisto9
    i finally found the right size chimney cap (size 7) for my chimney. my home inspector recommended it so i didn't get rain down my chimney. cap looks like this:

Amazon.com: Vent Pipe Caps: BIC Superstore

i bought a tin one online for about $11 and last weekend, the boyfriend placed it on top of the chimney. two days later, it was in my front yard. :rolleyes:

how do i secure this thing?
    I'd like to try helping you but I need to know a few things first.

1. What type of material is your chimney pipe made of (at the top, where it's exposed to the sky)?
    2. Is there any metal flashing around the top of the chimney and if so... does it contact the pipe itself?
    3. Did your boyfriend attach it to the pipe or did he just set in on or in it?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 04:41 AM
    Fiberglass? If it is a white plastic material, PVC is more likely. You should be able to drill some small holes and secure it with screws. If it is PVC, I am not sure you need a cap. It is only used with a condensing furnace that has a trap and a drain for the condensate, and a little rain won't hurt.

To determine if you really need a rain cap, post a question to https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/newthr...ewthread&f=150 giving all the details, type of furnace, chimney, etc. An unneeded cap could restrict the flow of exhaust gases messing up your efficiency. If you need help determining what you have, check the sticky, https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/newthr...ewthread&f=150 Some of the answers you get there should be from professionals that know what they are talking about.

Apr 10, 2007, 06:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kstar4u
    I'd like to try helping you but I need to know a few things first.

1. What type of material is your chimney pipe made out of (at the top, where it's exposed to the sky)?
    2. Is there any metal flashing around the top of the chimney and if so...does it contact the pipe itself?
    3. Did your boyfriend attach it to the pipe or did he just set in on or in it?
    I know this picture might be hard to see, but here's a pic of it. It's the highest thing on the roof.
    Picasa Web Albums - erin - house - may 2006

1. I don't think the chimney is PVC. Pretty sure it's not metal, either.
    2. there is no metal flashing around the top of the chimney.
    3. and my boyfriend just set it on top; there's nothing to attach it TO.

That's my original question: how DO I attach this thing? It's just a tin chimney cap. Nothing substantial.

We tried to size 6, but it wouldn't fit over the chimney. The size 8 was too big.

Apr 10, 2007, 06:39 AM
    Sorry Callisto9 but I don't see your picture. Where did you attach it in the post. It can not just sit on top. Gravity and wind.

Apr 10, 2007, 06:41 AM
    Sorry Callisto9 but I don't see your picture. Where did you attach it in the post. It can not just sit on top. Gravity and wind.
    Sorry! Edited post.

Apr 10, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Still don't see it but it could be me. Good with tools , not so good with Dell.

Apr 10, 2007, 06:47 AM
    Still don't see it but it could be me. Good with tools , not so good with Dell.
    Link here: Picasa Web Albums - erin - house - may 2006
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 10:53 AM
    The picture is too small for me to tell much. It looks like type ''B'' metal to me. It certainly doesn't look like the small PVC vents the high efficiency condensing furnaces use. Whatever it is, I don't think drilling a few small holes and running a screw in will hurt.

Apr 10, 2007, 12:18 PM
    Got your pics, liked the red tape on the toilet. Still can't tell what material it is made of but I'm guessing your BF can try to sheet metal screw through the cap into the material. Your can buy 4 -5 self tapping sheet metal screws and try that.

Apr 10, 2007, 12:30 PM
    Got your pics, liked the red tape on the toilet. Still can't tell what material it is made out of but I'm guessing your BF can try to sheet metal screw through the cap into the material. Your can buy 4 -5 self tapping sheet metal screws and try that.
    LOL yeah, the house doesn't look like that anymore. Please tell me you looked at the current pics, too. ;)

I'll try the sheet metal screws. Thanks. :D

Apr 10, 2007, 12:36 PM
    I looked at them all. Bet that foundation cost a pretty penny. Are you staying in this place or flipping it. It looks like a great flip. Sell it, buy another and keep moving up with reinvesting the profits. Painting and landscaping increase the value a lot but kitchen and bath are the buyers prime concern.

Apr 10, 2007, 03:00 PM
    I looked at em all. Bet that foundation cost a pretty penny. Are you staying in this place or flipping it. It looks like a great flip. Sell it, buy another and keep moving up with reinvesting the profits. Painting and landscaping increase the value a lot but kitchen and bath are the buyers prime concern.
    I didn't pay for the foundation, the bank did. It was $2700.

We are staying in the place. I didn't buy it to flip it, I bought it 'cause it was the only decent house I could afford! ;) we'll be there at LEAST 5 years. I really wanted a home to live in and enjoy, not flip. Although yes, it's a prime property to do so.
    dawnomac Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2011, 05:24 PM
    Hello-

I am not sure if you got an answer on this question but if I am seeing the picture correctly then I think you just have a metal vent pipe coming through your roof. If so, you probably are putting some type of vent cap on it. If that is the case then just use construction screws or metal screws that are self drilling. Make sure they are good for exterior purposes. Most likely you will only need 2-4 of them based on the size you mentioned. This should prevent the cap from blowing away.

Good luck! :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My mower blew a rod [ 4 Answers ]

I have a crafstman rider that I got running but I forgott to check the oil on it and the rod or something broke inside the motor before I tear it apart I want to see if I should spend the money to fix and if I could buy a used one or something

The driver blew a ZERO and the COP MADE ME BLOW! [ 1 Answers ]

I go to school in Indiana. I was out drinking the other night with some friends and we got a sober driver to take us home from a fraternity. The car was speeding and was pulled over for going 11 over the speed limit. No one in the car was 21 but everyone in the car had been drinking except for the...

Blew something? [ 2 Answers ]

So here's my situation. I needed to change a regular electrical outlet and then a dimmer switch to a regular flicker switch. The outlet went beautfully. White wire and black wire and grounding wire all hooked up nicely and it worked! I was very proud of myself until I screwed the dimmer change up....

Kitchen Sink Sprayer blew off [ 5 Answers ]

HELP - I have the sprayer hose in my hand, I read out the diverter thing, if I put my finger over where the sprayer goes water will come out of the spout. I sprayer coupling appears to be still attached under the sink. Can I get help with a quick fix? I can't get it off, any suggestions to how I...

View more questions Search