Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Sam Everdeen Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2015, 11:02 PM
    Concerned about breeding dogs
    I have a question why is everyone so concerned with why people are breeding their dogs? My female pit is older than my male mix breed and she's pregnant. My young daughters wanted them to know the wonders of parenthood and share their pups with the world of coarse trying to make sure to give them to good homes that will love them. I think its bs when people put owners down for something they may not understand. My immediate thought is activists. I don't know just try to understand before jumping the gun folks.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 22, 2015, 12:55 AM
    Did you have the dogs checked by vet, to insure no issues on pregnancy?

What are the plans with the puppies, to ensure they go to proper homes?

Will the puppies get vet treatment, and proper shots?

Issues are the 1000's and 1000's of unwanted dogs (and cats) that are killed each month because owners neglect them, do not care for them, let them breed without plans.

Young children can learn responsibility by perhaps doing volunteer work with animal shelters and learning what happens when unwanted dogs are allowed to run loose in society.

If you wanted children to learn parenthood, perhaps you and you spouse could have another child, and let your children help raise that child?

I am not even a dog activist, but merely someone who helped work with animal shelters and animal control where I had to oversee the killing of dozens of dogs each week.
    Catsmine Posts: 3,826, Reputation: 739
    Pest Control Expert

Feb 22, 2015, 05:42 AM
    Even PETA is having to kill unadopted pets. I have owned, bred, rescued, and placed dogs for half a century (I'll leave the discussion of Purebred versus Mutts for later) and I watch the tide of strays keep rising. What happens when a pack of feral dogs kill yours and attack your daughters?

U.S. Facing Feral-Dog Crisis

Note that article is over 10 years old. It's gotten worse.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 22, 2015, 05:55 AM
    I am puzzled by your concern over activists, as though that word in itself means a bunch of people who just flame about some subject for no reason.
    An activist is someone who acts for a cause, rather than just sitting around. You can be one if you get a group together to get your town to build a basketball court or swimming pool.
    I do know that most larger dogs are not adopted and are put down, thousands and thousands of them. People want small dogs, or their large ones get in trouble when they roam on their own, or the owners can't afford the dog food and vet costs, so they dump them in some place far away.
    And a lot of the well-meaning good homes you find for the puppies? Puppies are LITTLE and so cute... people just don't usually understand that they grow. But good luck anyway.
    OH - and there's a new 'breed' of vet out there too, who is darn expensive! They want their piece of the med school pie.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Feb 22, 2015, 09:07 AM
    Close to home, how many pits and pit mixes are there in your local animal shelter? How many are being given away 'free' in your local want-ads (print and on-line sources?) How many rentals (apartment and houses) refuse to allow pits? How many places require special insurance? How many insurance companies refuse to cover homes that have pits? Is there an issue with dog fighting in your area?

The reason I ask those questions is because they will go into your ability to find homes for your pit's litter. Can you be completely positive that none of the pups will end up in the hands of dog fighters? What happens if you can't find homes for them? Are you ready to keep them? Are you ready to make certain they can't breed with their parents or each other?

You made a decision to allow your female to breed because your young daughters thought the dogs needed to know what it was like to be parents and wanted to share their pups with the world. Did you stop to look at the larger picture?

The people you call 'activists' do. They see the effects of accidental litters and backyard breeders who can't find homes for the pups. They see where the pups and young adults end up. They see the number of pups born with genetic defects that make them unwanted by people willing to adopt. They see the number of dogs of all breeds who are abandoned or released to animal shelters. They see the number of animals that are killed because shelters are over-crowded and many rescue groups and foster homes are over-whelmed. They see the feral dogs who are dying in the streets due to injuries, disease, exposure to the elements, etc. More than seeing all of this they are the ones who end up attempting to help the animals. The best way to help the animals is by teaching the humans to be responsible and to not add to the problems.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 22, 2015, 10:01 AM
    My young daughters wanted them to know the wonders of parenthood and share their pups with the world of coarse trying to make sure to give them to good homes that will love them.
    You may have good intentions for your daughters, but the reality is finding a "good home' for the mutts you are breeding is easier said than done. Not to mention are you really serving your daughters motives well by letting them put their feelings into their pets in such an important ways?

As an adult, you shouldn't completely dismiss the concerns of activists who obviously don't agree with what you are doing, or how you go about it. One would hope you teach your daughters a bigger view than just the narrow one of children.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 22, 2015, 06:32 PM
    Over 5 million dogs are killed in shelters every year in the US alone. The more people that breed, especially when they mix breeds, the more animals that will end up in shelters, and killed because there aren't enough homes.

I've had mixed breed and purebreds all my life starting with a purebred long haired Dachshund, then a mutt (cant even tell you the breeds he was made of), then a purebred show quality poodle, then a lab mix, then a border collie mix, then a purebred beagle and a border collie mix. I loved them all.

The sad fact is, there are too many dogs and not enough people willing to give them forever homes. The more people that breed, the more dogs there are. Will your puppies find homes? Sure they will! Puppies are cute, they're small, they're adorable, and people are stupid. They get a puppy and when it grows up, starts peeing in the house, pooing in the house, eating their shows, chewing on their furniture, they give up, and off to the shelter it goes.

Even purebred dogs bought from legitimate breeders, end up in shelters. You're a backyard breeder. The puppies you're selling will most likely end up being killed in a shelter, because the people you sell them to will buy because of cuteness, with no more idea on what it takes to own a dog than most people, and when that cute puppy turns into a disobedient dog because they don't know how to train, and have no patience, those puppies you had because "My young daughters wanted them to know the wonders of parenthood"will be killed because there are too many dogs in shelters, and they're mixed so they're the bottom of the barrel.

That's the reality.

Dogs don't need to experience parenthood, that's a human thing, not a dog thing. What you're doing is creating lambs for the slaughter. You'll find what you think are good homes for these pups. I urge you to keep track of them and see how many of them are still alive a year after you sell them. You'll be lucky if one is still with the person you sold it to. Those are sadly the facts. :(
    Sariss Posts: 1,471, Reputation: 244
    Ultra Member

Feb 22, 2015, 06:32 PM
    Hundreds of thousands of Pitbulls are put to sleep in shelters each year. You are breeding the most over bred dog in the country.
    Here is some reading for you in regards to letting your kids experience the miracle of birth: https://positively.com/contributors/...ot-breed-dogs/

Each puppy you produce takes a potential adopter away from a shelter dog. Here is something for you to watch.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJ4M-H29LCw
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Feb 24, 2015, 09:03 AM
    LOL! This post screams TROLL!

Every reason why people do not want to breed is the reason the OP bred the dog... Not to mention that she has the main breed of dog that is overpopulated.

Good grief... the OP needs to find a better hobby instead of type like an idiot on the internet to upset others.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

3 days ago my dogs got in a fight and left 2 puncture wounds on my dogs left shoulder [ 5 Answers ]

My dog has 2 puncture wound on her back from our other dog have treated with Epsom salt soaks and it has been 3 days, it was very swollen, now about 1/2 the size, still oozing, she is eating well, active, no breathing problems, I am still treating her daily with soaks and antibiotic ointment, do I...

My dogs are extremely aggressive towards other dogs, kicked out of 2 classes [ 7 Answers ]

We have to dogs both the same age (1year old) and they are scary aggressive if they see another dog on a walk and they've gone ape in two different training classes and been kicked out. How do we fix this? I don't want to put them down

Why do people have a problem with other people breeding their dogs? [ 112 Answers ]

I have read in many places that people are always asking someone else to get their dogs spayed. I have a dog and I do plan to breed her but only one time. I do talk to my vet about her care. I feel that I am resopnsile enough to care for my pet. I use sites like this to gain information about the...

I Asked Why People Have A Problem With Other People Breeding Their Dogs? [ 31 Answers ]

I want to know how many of the people that answered the question Are Responible breeders that only breed dogs that meet the standards for breeding? And how many of you own a dog that did NOT come from a breeder that follows the standard? How many of you have checked on the pets that were bred by...

Are hot dogs safe for dogs [ 7 Answers ]

Are hot dogs safe for me to feed to my dog,or are there any health issues I should be concerned with?

View more questions Search