Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    barryman99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2015, 02:18 PM
    Restoring from a system image - Windows 7
    My hard drive is partitioned into two partitions C: (operating system) and E: (all data)
    I have regular system image backups where I backup OS and Data together. I need to restore from a system image due to slight problems. My question is:

Will restoring from my saved system image reformat the WHOLE of my hard disk or is there any way I can just restore the OS side of things and leave the data untouched? I do have a backup of all data separately but I really don't want to start restoring all that unless 100% necessary!

Windows 7 ultimate - 32 bit version
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Feb 21, 2015, 02:29 PM
    What application are you using for this imaging as the restore may well have the options you are looking for.
    barryman99 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 22, 2015, 02:35 AM
    Just the built in Windows backup system image utility. I can get into my PC but it hangs at start of bootup with black screen and flashing underscore symbol. My image backup is both c: and e: drives so that's why I don't know if restoring it will restore the whole lot. Any more advice?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2015, 03:37 AM
    Typically a restore from an image does not involve a lot of user involvement other than selecting the primary partition (drive letter). I do not believe it would format the entire physical drive, you should check the documentation of the application you are using.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2015, 05:23 AM
    Unless the image backup is self booting you will have to restore the OS, then restore the image.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2015, 09:51 AM
    Many image applications include the OS files as well. That's what we use at work.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 23, 2015, 06:16 AM
    By definition an image is a sector based dump of the drive. Its not file based, like some backup utilities.

So, one still needs to run a program to copy that image back onto the hard drive. If the image media is bootable, then it will load the program to restore the image. It may not even boot to Windows, but it will need to be bootable.
    Uber Member

Feb 23, 2015, 08:04 AM
    If the image media is bootable, then it will load the program to restore the image.
    Yep, that's what we do.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How can I install windows from a windows image? [ 3 Answers ]

How can I install windows from a windows image? If I convert windows cd to an image and suppose my windows is destroyed then how can I insatall windows from an image? There are two cases Sometimes window is there but is corrupt Window just disappears, and blank screen is there

Windows image acquisition [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone tell me why my built in (sd) card reader doesn't work? My camera memory card works in every other computer I've tried except this one. I've made sure the windows imaging acquisition is turned on in services. Don't know what else to try. Running windows xp home edition on an hp...

View more questions Search