Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Adoredevotion Posts: 44, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 05:55 PM
    Refinance of a mortgage
    Three years ago my father passed away. In order to assist my mom with costs and remaining in the house she has lived in for so many years I refinanced the home. I refinanced the home with her and I on the mortgage as well as the deed. I am now looking to move on and buy a house of my own and my brother-in-law and sister are interested in owning the house with my mother.

My question is can my brother-in-law and sister refinance the house with my mother even though they are not on the deed of the house?

Sincerely,
    Adoredevotion
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Apr 9, 2007, 06:54 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoredevotion
    Three years ago my father passed away. In order to assist my mom with costs and remaining in the house she has lived in for so many years I refinanced the home. I refinanced the home with her and I on the mortgage as well as the deed. I am now looking to move on and buy a house of my own and my brother-in-law and sister are interested in owning the house with my mother.

My question is can my brother-in-law and sister refinance the house with my mother even though they are not on the deed of the house?

Sincerely,
    Adoredevotion
    Yes - you would be taken off with new re-fi and they would be put on with mom...

Apr 9, 2007, 06:59 PM
    Thank you CVillecpm for you answer. I thought the same thing but when my brother-in-law contacted the VA to refinance they told him he would have to be on the deed to do that. The problem with that is I would be voiding my current contract with my mortgage if I were to add him to the deed of the house. Any suggestions, comments or ideas??

Sincerely,
    Adoredevotion
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 08:40 PM
    It is really merely terms, since they are not currently on the deed, they are acutally merely buying it, so a new loan has to be taken out.
    But this is really what a re-fi is anyway, just a nw loan. But in your case, not only will you have to have a new loan, but a need deed also, which requires more work than a mere re-fi wold be.

So the brother in law, along with the mom applys for a loan, and then it pays off the old loan and a mortgage company does a new deed.

So it is really not a re-fi since a new deed has to be done and there are new people to be added to mortgage also.

Apr 10, 2007, 01:53 PM
    I am not understanding how it was possible for myself to refinance the house with my mother in the first place when I was not on the deed. I am assuming it was because my mom was on the deed from the start. Anyway... why wouldn't my brother in law be able to do the same thing with my mother and when refinancing the new deed would be drawn up just taking my name off and adding my brother-in-law since my mother is already on it. I am not seeking any kind of retainment for the property I want to give my half to my brother-in-law as a good faith gesture.

I spoke with a real estate attorney and he says that this is allowed so I am sort of lost on why the VA is telling my brother-in-law this is not possible.

Sincerely,
    Adoredevotion
    Cvillecpm Posts: 553, Reputation: 28

Apr 10, 2007, 04:04 PM
    VA is a whole different type of mortgage agreement so don't use that as an example.

If your brother is trying to re-fi VA, that may well not work... you need to do a conventional loan,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Refinance current mortgage [ 4 Answers ]

I owe 52k on first mortgage (payment = 469.00- including tax & insurance-int.rate 6.5 I owe 13k on second (3yrs left at 400.00 a month. I owe 7k on credit card I can refinance for 72k for approx 570.00 a month, 30 yrs... at cost of 1686.00 for re-finance at int rate of 6.375, I have...

Refinance mortgage [ 1 Answers ]

My husband and I claimed Chapter 13 Bankruptcy 2 years ago and have been paying. We will not be paid off for another 3 years. Our current mortg. Is a 20 year and if we could get it to a 30 year our payments would be lower and that would help with our payments. The current lender is not...

How soon can I refinance [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I would like to know how soon can you refinance once you purchase a property. I have heard different answers; one being you can refinance the next day, four to six months, once your credit score is higher. I currently have a ARMS loan and would like to know how soon can I refinance.

How will Quit Claiming a Deed to me allow me to refinance a mortgage in my name only [ 2 Answers ]

I am living in a relatives home and paying rent. My relative wants to Quit Claim the deed to me so that I can refinance the mortgage in my name. My relative has not lived in this home for over a year and she wants to get rid of this obligation a cheaply as possible. How can we do this, legally? (In...

Should I Refinance [ 1 Answers ]

Work's been tough the past year and I got behind on my mortgage as well as evey other bill. I HAVE ABOUT $35,000 WORTH OF EQUITY in my home. I was wanting to cash out $25,000.00 to catch up and finish a few projects around the house. Here's my problem. I've shopped around and since I've been...

View more questions Search