Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Trucker4788 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2015, 11:42 AM
    I have called a creditor based on I recently found out I still owe 6120 on osl
    My student loan dates back to 1999 and I had paid them till the 1st of April 2008 where I had to declare a personal bankruptcy. I thought the loan was attached to the bankruptcy but as it seems seven years later I find out no. The total amount is 6120$ I have called the collector by my own consciousnesses to see what was going on. They told me I owed 10,000$ and had to pay it now. I talked with the collector and tried to make an arrangement for less he said he would get back to me. I than received an email stating I have 3 months to pay 7200$ in three months. Can they do this, I asked him why I wasn't contacted at an earlier date and his response was its not our job to find you. Am I elligible for the statute of limitation and can they sue me after almost 7 years of not knowing. If I would have known I would have taken arrangement earlier.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2015, 12:54 PM
    It depends on the nature of the student loan. Federally funded student loans are not dischargeable in bankruptcy.

And while they can demand that you pay according to their terms, they can't force it. What they can do is sue you for payment.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 05:37 PM
    What state are you in as the SOL is different for different loans in different states.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 15, 2015, 05:54 PM
    If there was SOL it went out the window the moment you tried to make arrangements, you achknowledged the debt at that point, sclock start over.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Recently found out why my dad was going away for the weekend [ 8 Answers ]

Hey all I recently found out that the reason my dad had been going away over the weekends was to see another woman. Turns out he'd been 'seeing' her since before Christmas last year but never said anything. After a family meal (after he'd just come back) he told my mum, who then came round to...

I recently found an emaciated cat [ 13 Answers ]

Took her to the vet they did tests and sent me home with eye drops and to watch her. This morning she passed out and I rushed her in to the vet - they did more blood work found that she had horribly low blood sugar, calcium and potassium - she is almost starved to death - she is there on IV...

Ten years after bankruptcy I owe a creditor? [ 3 Answers ]

I hope someone can answer this for me, I filed for bankruptcy about ten years ago, and today I received a letter stating that if I act now I can save 900 on what I owe! I haven't even applied for a credit card let alone buy anything. How is it possible? My wife and I recently applied for a loan,...

What are creditor's claims on the assets of a company called? [ 5 Answers ]

Net loss, expense or liability?

View more questions Search