Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mariachina1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2015, 04:47 PM
    Petition for my son
    Can a file a petition for my unmarried 32 years old son, who came to us 10 years ago with a visitor visa and overstayed in the US? I am a us citizen
    newacct Posts: 321, Reputation: 21

Feb 14, 2015, 12:48 AM
    You can file a petition at any time. But that's only the beginning. To get a green card he needs to either do Adjustment of Status (AOS) in the U.S. or Consular Processing (CP) abroad.

He is not eligible to do AOS, because for people in non-Immediate Relative categories (Immediate Relatives include spouses, children under 21, and parents of U.S. citizens; your child is in the F1 category, unmarried adult children of U.S. citizens), they must be in status at the time of filing for Adjustment of Status. He is not in status, so this is impossible.

Doing Consular Processing requires going to a U.S. consulate abroad. The problem with that is that if he leaves the U.S. he will trigger a 10-year ban for accruing at least 1 year of unlawful presence and then leaving. That means he cannot come back for 10 years. He can try to get a waiver of the ban based on hardship to you, where he files I-601 at the consulate when he applies for an immigrant visa. Currently, he cannot apply for a provisional waiver (I-601A) before he leaves the U.S. unless he has a spouse or under-21 child who is a U.S. citizen; but this is announced to change in a few months. In a few months, he should be able to file I-601A to see if he can get a waiver; and if he can, there is a good chance that he can get a green card through Consular Processing smoothly.

If he can't get a waiver, there is no easy way for him to get a green card without spending a long time outside the U.S. -- unless he marries a U.S. citizen.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Petition [ 2 Answers ]

Dear ma'am My father is american citizen but he already fast away last oct.2012,he petition my married brother way back 1993. Last 2010 my brother petition was updated they already finish all the document and then suddenly stop sending them for further info.we paid already there visa fee.is...

Petition for debt. [ 5 Answers ]

Ok here is the deal. I am in Oklahoma. An old credit card that charged off NOV 2004, has passed there debt on to Asset Acceptance, then they hired a local attorney LOVEBEALNIXON. They sent me a letter on July 28th 2009, very vague stating you owe asset accept. Said amount. The letter did not advise...

L1A Petition [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I am applying for L1A and I would like to find some good acceptable answers for the below questions. Can anyone help me ?  Why does the beneficiary need to be transferred to the U.S. at this time?  Why can’t the employer place a lower level manager into the position?  What...

The Petition! [ 26 Answers ]

I really don't have a preference yet as far as for whom to vote, but I did find the following email that I received recently to be funny! I usually don't pass along these "add your name" lists that appear in my email, but this one is too important! This one has been circulating for 6...

View more questions Search