Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jerome sorrell Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2015, 10:42 AM
    Updates
    I admit to being not a computer geek. When anything gets updated does the update add on and improve whatever is being updated or is it a case of taking the place of the old version. What exactly happens when something is updated?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 13, 2015, 10:44 AM
    My computer runs better. Not a geek either.
    jerome sorrell Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2015, 10:49 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    My computer runs better. Not a geek either.
    Still have the question does an update always just add on and change whatever is being updated. Is there ever an old version of something that needs to be got rid of?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 13, 2015, 11:13 AM
    Yes.

It depends on what is being update and why. The normal Updates that Microsoft pushes out on Patch Tuesday are generally addons, but they may actually replace certain files. Many programs make use of a great number of files. For example, there may be several DLL (Dynamic Link Library) files. Each DLL has code that performs one or more functions. So lets say a bug was discovered in XYZ.DLL. Microsoft may just replace that file with a new one. Or another DLL, might actually be physically updated. The most common would be to replace the specific files that cover the functionality being patched or enhanced. But its not the whole program that is being replaced.
    donf Posts: 5,679, Reputation: 582
    Printers & Electronics Expert

Feb 13, 2015, 12:18 PM
    IN THEORY!

There are two primary reasons to release updates:

1) A bug (problem) has been identified within an application and a fix to that bug is being released and distributed.

2) Probably the most common reason now-a-days, a security window has been breached, hacked. The owner of the application or platform has identified the intruding program and plugged the hole. The update is a release to stop the invading villain.
    InfoJunkie4Life Posts: 1,409, Reputation: 81
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2015, 10:40 AM
    In some cases a program is updated by a "Patch" where the parts of the program that are faulty are replaced, or a new function is added. However, many software vendors release new versions of the program to be installed over the existing, or uninstalled then reinstalled with the new version. In these cases (like with JAVA and Adobe) aside from user settings the update provides an entirely new platform. Sometimes, especially when program versions are very distant, the update can be installed alongside the original program. This is very common with commercial software.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New Updates [ 8 Answers ]

Sometimes when I log on to my computer,a window will pop up that says,"new updates are ready to be installed to your computer". My question is should I always install these new updates,and how can I tell when to install or not to install.

XP updates [ 2 Answers ]

My comp. will not load update kb898461, or WMP 11. Any ideas?

Updates [ 4 Answers ]

Hello: I woke up to an icon that told me I needed to update something to do with Logiteck. K. That could be my mouse or my cam, or maybe even something else. So, I did it. How would I even determine IF the update request came from Logiteck? Could it be a trojan horse? Could it be from...

Updates [ 1 Answers ]

I have a problem. I ran the windows update and got the security update KB826939 and a day or so later I received the same message that this update was needed again. I looked in my installed updates and noticed I have a total of 8 security updates with this same number KB826939.They were all...

View more questions Search