Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    beerexpert Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Feb 9, 2015, 12:50 PM
    Downloaded Freeware Won't Install - Why?
    I'm running Windows 7 - SP1 - 64-bit. I'm a firm believer in trying & using freeware whenever possible. For the last several days, I've downloaded freeware from several different sources and when trying to install them, I get the message - "The version of this file is not compatible with the version of Windows you're running. Check your computer's System Information to see whether you need a 32-bit or a 64-bit version of the program.

Can anyone offer suggestions?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 9, 2015, 01:13 PM
    Likely the application is not designed for Windows 8. You could try this: How to Run Older Programs under Windows 8 - For Dummies
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 9, 2015, 02:13 PM
    It may not be compatible with 64 bit Windows.

Feb 11, 2015, 08:38 AM
    Sorry - I'm running Windows 7, 64-bit. The software I try to install IS 64-bit. Any other suggestions?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 11, 2015, 09:10 AM
    Contact the author.
    Uber Member

Feb 11, 2015, 10:14 AM
    Impossible to tell without knowing the software in question.

Feb 12, 2015, 08:18 AM
    So far, it's been about 10 different packages. I don't think it the software because it comes from different writers, etc, I'm sure it is something on my end - a setting, a driver, etc.
    Uber Member

Feb 12, 2015, 09:02 AM
    Do you have something like Norton 360 installed? That's a nasty piece of computer slowing software.

Feb 12, 2015, 04:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    Do you have something like Norton 360 installed? That's a nasty piece of computer slowing software.
    No I don't - never liked Norton - too invasive.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Fresh Install Fingerprint Freeware [ 3 Answers ]

I do a lot of computer work. I was thinking of offering a guarantee to my customers where I could offer an aditional service. I would simply create a compressed disk image of their computer and keep it on file. Good thought, however it doesn't exactly fit my funding options. The amount of space...

Downloaded PC mighty max 2010 but won't install [ 1 Answers ]

Application failed to initialize properly ,also InstallIQ unable to complete installation

How open and install downloaded Driver Updates. [ 5 Answers ]

I have a DELL Laptop E1505 with Windows Vista installed and a DELL Desktop E510 with XP Professional installed. Problem applies to both computers. How do I Open and Install downloaded drivers that were downloaded in a file to My Doc's? I went to the DELL site to download new drivers and...

I downloaded a game and now I don't know what to do next to install it. [ 6 Answers ]

I'm a girl so I don't know much about these things so I would really appreciate some help :p I just downloaded a game through Utorrent. But now I have nooo idea what to do next. I right clicked on the file and chose "Open containing folder". What am I going to do next? Someone please help...

Hi! How can I install brian lara 2005 dvd setup downloaded from internt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi! I've downloaded brian lara cricket 2005 from intrnet and its having iso format, dvd. I'm unable to install that game , can anybody help mE out on this

View more questions Search