Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    47lberry Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 8, 2015, 06:25 AM
    How to fix discoloration caused by steam iron
    My dining table has some grayish spots caused by a steam iron. How do I fix?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 8, 2015, 07:47 AM
    1. species of wood, and solid or veneer?
    2. finish (e.g. polyurethane on a non-antique) and is it stained or clear?

If you don't know and don't want to pay someone experienced in all this, and don't want to power sand down the whole top and refinish, then lightly sand just the spots using your finger and a small piece of 100 grit paper and then 180 grit, and rub on a matching pigmented polyurethane (smallest can sold) with a tiny piece of cloth and your finger. It won't be perfect. But grey means that the water damage didn't go through the finish and into the wood, so that's good.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 8, 2015, 04:28 PM
    No, it won't be perfect. It will look perfectly awful. Trust me, tried that, not exactly as stated. I know wood refinishng and the only way is having the table professionally refinished. Sorry. Wood restoration is my hobby !
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2015, 07:03 PM
    Try buffing it with cigar or cigarette ash and a terry towel.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I repair a table damaged by a steam iron used to iron towel [ 3 Answers ]

I placed a folded towel on my wood table to iron a shirt and used a steam iron on high, unfortunately when I finished, when I removed the towel the damage was done the color and varnish had faded from my table, I suppose the steam lifted the stain onto the towel... HELP!

Repair old cast iron rad *steam* [ 1 Answers ]

Hullo lads, I've got a steam system running at 2lb and have a pinhole leak in one of my rads, a real fancy one too. Replacement is not really an option and disassembly will be a nightmare as it's been painted over for 50 years. Is there anything on the market I could use to patch or can this be...

Steam generator iron filters [ 1 Answers ]

Do all steam generator irons need replaceable filters? Are there any steam generator irons I can buy that do not need a replaceable filter, as I do not want to spend money buying filters every month or 6 month.

View more questions Search