Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lewisbelle Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 7, 2015, 05:38 PM
    83.03 15 day notice
    For the month of Feb with 28 days, is notice on the 14th enough days?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 7, 2015, 06:09 PM
    Today is the 7th. Why not earlier if you need 15 days? I believe it is "At least 15 days"
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2015, 07:29 AM
    Assuming this is Florida (it helps to specify), the 15 day notice must be prior to the end of the rental period. To be safe I would deliver the notice before the 12th.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 8, 2015, 07:51 AM
    "[Florida Statute] 83.03 Termination of tenancy at will; length of notice.—A tenancy at will may be terminated by either party giving notice as follows:
    (1) Where the tenancy is from year to year, by giving not less than 3 months' notice prior to the end of any annual period;
    (2) Where the tenancy is from quarter to quarter, by giving not less than 45 days' notice prior to the end of any quarter;
    (3) Where the tenancy is from month to month, by giving not less than 15 days' notice prior to the end of any monthly period; and
    (4) Where the tenancy is from week to week, by giving not less than 7 days' notice prior to the end of any weekly period." (emphasis added)

So, as ScottGem has indicated, the notice must be 15 days "prior to the end of" the period. I don't see that OP has indicated when the period starts and ends. If, for example, if the tenant started paying rent in the middle of a month, it's arguable that the "rental period" would begin on the 16th of each month and end on the 15th of the next month.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 8, 2015, 08:27 AM
    I'm assuming since the OP indicated a calendar month, that the rental period ends at the end of the month. If the OP is a landlord and plans on giving a termination notice, I would do it Monday. The deadline for the tenant to vacate would be the end of the rental period, presumably the 28th. If the notice is not delivered at least 15 days prior to the end of the rental period then the tenant will have another rental period before they have to vacate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 8, 2015, 11:43 PM
    I agree with Scott, 14 days is not 15 days,

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can a landlord serve a 3 day notice one month after serving a 60 day notice? [ 1 Answers ]

I was served a 60 day notice in June then served a 3 day notice in July. Is this legal? Or possible?

Can I give a 30 day notice after receiving a 3 day notice to quit [ 4 Answers ]

My landlord gave me a 3 day notice to quit. He gave it to me just shy two weeks before I was gonnna put in my 30 day notice..

Give a 30 day notice then 4 days later served with a 3 day vacate notice [ 6 Answers ]

I was served with a 30 day notice for a termination of Lease on June 9th. By my landlord for late payments. Then on June 15th I was served with a notice to pay or vacate with in 3 days by my landlord. Can he do this? I am not even a month late on this months rent.

Received a 60 day notice to vacate - do I need to give a 30 day notice? [ 8 Answers ]

Hello! The rental property is in cupertino, California. I received a 60 day notice to vacate as the new owner wants to remodel the property. As I have a house that I had bought and was also renting this unit I would like to vacate within 15 days and move all my stuff? Question - Am I...

View more questions Search