Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NorPlan Posts: 425, Reputation: 3

Feb 6, 2015, 10:32 AM
    First Offense / DUI...
    I Don't know the Workings / Fine Print of it all or maybe I'm not getting the whole picture.. The Occurrence happened in Alberta.. 1st Offense , DUI.. Family Member had been out Drinking had stopped drinking about Midnight, 5 hrs. Later on their way home got pulled over at a Ride Check, asked to blow into the machine.. Don't know what the reading was.. What has me Puzzled, there is a Court Date.. They'll own up to it and plead guilty.. Their told the Fine will be about $1,000. loss of license for 12 months.. Then upon Reinstatment of Driver's License their vehicle will be outfitted with a Blow In Device that allows the vehicle to start for the next 12 months @ a hefty monthly charge at that.. Really Seems extreme for 1st Offense , But What Do I Know? Thoughts Appreciated.. Cheers Thanks
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 11:06 AM
    NorPlan, I hate to say it but it all fits the 'crime'. We are constantly warned to not drink and drive, the downside is that someone could have been killed.

You may think the penalty is extreme but it is what it if we want people to realize that a car is a weapon in the hands of an intoxicated driver.

Will this teach him a lesson? If he got caught this one time DUI, how many other times has he not been caught?

Here is what happens in Ontario on top of the fines :

criminal record
    limits the ability to travel internationally
    auto seizure by police
    Permanent loss of drivers license

Feb 6, 2015, 11:25 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    NorPlan, I hate to say it but it all fits the 'crime'. We are constantly warned to not drink and drive, the downside is that someone could have been killed.

You may think the penalty is extreme but it is what it if we want people to realize that a car is a weapon in the hands of an intoxicated driver.

Will this teach him a lesson? If he got caught this one time DUI, how many other times has he not been caught?

Here is what happens in Ontario on top of the fines :

criminal record
    limits the ability to travel internationally
    auto seizure by police
    Permanent loss of drivers license
    @ Tickle.. Thanks for the Comeback.. 10-4 on them Owning Up to the Charge and Realizing their Mistake.. What has me puzzled and I do realize there appears to be No Give or Take / Considerations taken into Account.. Just Saying and I would accept the Fine and Loss of License for a Period.. It's upon Reinstatement of Driver's License, the added compliance having to install this Blow In Device that Activates the Ignition starting the Vehicle allowing you to be on your way.. I understand the Monthly Rental / Lease is Not Cheap..
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Feb 6, 2015, 12:30 PM
    You got off easy. Here in Virginia... you could EASILY have gotten 1 year in jail, I've seen it happen to many people (while I was fighting a parking or traffic ticket because the serious cases always went first)... and additionally your drivers license revoked indefinitely, on top of very high fines and legal fees to start with... BEFORE you have to deal with the interlock device AFTER you manage to get the license back.. I've seen may people play the its my first time, and Oh I am so sorry card. It doesn't work around here. I've actually personally known a couple as well.

Yes that is for a first offense. Second or thirds are significantly worse.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 12:44 PM
    You don't understand why you are going to have the interlock device? It's a preventive measure so the you don't kill someone the next time you get behind the wheel. Consider yourself, or your family member, lucky that you didn't kill someone the first time.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 02:38 PM
    This sounds like a plea agreement. Hefty fine and a few years probation with stipulations, instead of jail time. Seems fair.

Feb 6, 2015, 02:58 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    This sounds like a plea agreement. Hefty fine and a few years probation with stipulations, instead of jail time. Seems fair.
    @ talaniman & J_9. I get it, I'm just trying to understand what has been said from Alberta.. One scenario having a Lawyer involved would Cost a good chunk of coin.. As I said in my 1st Post the Individual doesn't have the money for a lawyer and will own up to the Charge and plead Guilty, their waiting for a Court Date. Even though they had stopped drinking 5 / 6 hrs previous to heading home there was still sufficient in their system to fail the Brethalizer.. I can see a 1st Offense Fine of $1,000. And loss of license for a year.. Trying to understand the additional reprimand of upon reinstatement of license , one year of a Blow In Device to release your Vehicle Ignition to start the engine.. At a hefty Monthly fee , Curious is All..
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 03:23 PM
    Like I said, the interlock is a preventive measure so that it doesn't happen again. This person really got lucky.

Feb 6, 2015, 03:44 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9 View Post
    Like I said, the interlock is a preventive measure so that it doesn't happen again. This person really got lucky.
    Oh For Sure, If that Don't drive the point across.. Once their Illedgeable to have their license reinstated , it can only be done by having the Interlocking Device installed and they are responsible for the Cost of Rental / Lease of the Device..
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 03:58 PM
    Yes, they are responsible for the cost. They are responsible because they broke the law.

I guess I'm not understanding what your question is.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I was convicted of a second offense dui and received a 2 yr. Suspension. [ 0 Answers ]

I had a second offense dui and a drug possession at the same time. The judge gave me a 2 yr suspension and a 1 yr suspension consecutive. While I was suspended I got 2 driving on suspended. One a 1yr suspension and the other 18 months. Is it possible to have these cases revisted and run concurrent...

I was charged with a DUI - 3rd offense [ 2 Answers ]

My 3rd DUI was 11 years from the present one. The judge ordered my fines, house arrest 45 days, 30 days of another bracelet that would tell if I consumed any alcohol. I had just finished my 45 days and my probation officer called me in for a urine. It came back positive for pot. I am violated. ...

State vop for dui first offense [ 1 Answers ]

I'm on unsupervised state po and just violated for first offense dui what may happen

Charged with 1st offense DUI while on probation - what can I expect? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, all. I received charges for violating my probation of one year with six weeks left to go for a first-offense DUI. My BAC was 0.09% at the time, and I was pulled over for having a headlight out. I wasn't driving recklessly, and the field sobriety test I was administered, I failed. I have...

Violation of Probation for DUI 2nd offense [ 3 Answers ]

Hello all~ My ex-boyfriend currently violated his probation regarding his 2nd DUI and spent 30 days in jail. The terms of his probation when he had his hearing on 04/25/07 was not to drink and was scheduled to go into a two week rehab facility. I was not with him, so his story I am guessing is...

View more questions Search