Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mozez Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2015, 02:41 AM
    True Primary Colors and Mixing them.
    Hi,

I have been working on a project. I wish to use the 3 true primary colors and mix them in order to make all other colors.

I have an app which shows how much of each color pigment is needed to make any desired color and shade, however it appears that it is not possible to acquire the 3 pigments which are called, "True" primary colors.

This means I will never be successful in mixing any "True" color pigments since they don't really exist commercially. If two different suppliers where to advertise primary pigments, they would not be the same as another supplier.

Is this true?

Thanks
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 08:59 AM
    In what medium are you working? Oil, pencil, acrylic, watercolor, or digital? Once you decide on a medium, choosing where to get your primary colors is a simple one.

You have to shop and compare. Its more feel, and judgement than chemical composition.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 10:47 AM
    Tal is partially correct. It doesn't matter what medium one is working in. There are basically two categories of basic colours, both quite different. One is the basic colours of 'light' as in the computer screens and the other of the material world which artists work with. No one can actually agree on true basic colours of the material world, so yes, different suppliers have their own colour wheel.

Feb 8, 2015, 05:16 AM
    Tickle:

So basically I was correct that I DO have a problem. I wanted to buy powdered pigments of the 3 "true" primary colors, and be able to mix them in any clear medium that I would choose. I wanted to take for example, 2 grams of each pigment, or 2 grams of one, and 3 grams of another following the color chart. If I use my app it will tell me exactly how many grams of each pigment to mix in order to obtain the exact shade of color that I am wishing to make.
    So, this can not be done. I cannot buy from diff suppliers pigments that are considered true primary colors and they will all be the same.
    Expert

Feb 8, 2015, 06:56 AM
    I fail to see the need of multiple suppliers in the first place for a project. Just one that meets the needs of the project would be preferable, unless of course we are talking of a huge project. Now different suppliers can obviously meet the thresh hold of true primary colors in differing ways and would require different formulations of your app to reflect those differences.

It would seem your app would have its own criteria to be met according to the materials under consideration and the processes of those materials to reach your goal of true primary colors. It still goes back to medium my friend as you must have a clear idea as powdered pigmentations are manufactured for particular mediums, and if I am not mistaken, your app is very media specific.

So my question is what does the app call for as I doubt the same calculation for water based powder mixing is the same for say, oil based powder mixing. In addition how you use the final product, and on what is a vital factor to consider.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 8, 2015, 07:13 AM
    Custom Color Standards

Pantone as far as I know is the basic standard for colors, internationally. Colors are number coded.
    I see no reason why you have to go to different suppliers, but you still haven't said what materials you will be using, and that's key. 'Powdered pigments' isn't enough. And you haven't said what you will be mixing them with. But try Blick. Huge company with good prices.
    Pigments - BLICK art materials

You might want to read about color theory in general. It's just not true that you can get any 'color' (shade, tone, hue, etc.) from 3 primary colors. Ask anyone who paints in watercolors or oils. I know, I've tried to paint with a limited set in both media.

" In reality, only imaginary "primary colors" used in colorimetry can "mix" or quantify all visible (perceptually possible) colors; but to do this, these imaginary primaries are defined as lying outside the range of visible colors; i.e., they cannot be seen. Any three real "primary" colors of light, paint or ink can mix only a limited range of colors, called a gamut, which is always smaller (contains fewer colors) than the full range of colors humans can perceive." - wikipedia

Expert

Feb 8, 2015, 04:40 PM
    @joy. Good digging but does the OP want

Primary colours of the MATERIAL world

Or

Primary colors of LIGHT which is the VIRTUAL world

he can't use both, so what medium is he working in
    current pert

Feb 8, 2015, 08:25 PM
    If he or she is using terms correctly, then it isn't about light. "Pigments" are organic or inorganic substances. And he does say "powdered pigments," and does say to mix with any other substance.

Feb 9, 2015, 02:58 AM
    Yes, I am talking about the "material" world as in powdered pigments.
    If I am correct, I don't think that it matters which medium I use to mix them. i.e. any clear colored medium that will "allow" me to mix
    them together in order to create my desired color. This could be an oil based, water based, or even a clear colored cream or EVEN for that matter, a clear colored liquid soap.
    Am I correct in assuming that all of the above mediums could be used for mixing powdered pigments? And if so, I don't understand why there would be a difference in mixing in a water base or any other "base", the colored powdered pigments would be the same, No?

Also, I went to the site given above "Blick Art Materials" and they do not seem to offer "true color pigments".
    Expert

Feb 9, 2015, 03:11 AM
    Yes, all of the mediums you mentioned could be used to mix powdered pigments.
    current pert

Feb 9, 2015, 03:41 AM
    mozez, you didn't read about color theory. There is no such thing as a 'true' color except on computer displays and TVs. You are going by an app for true color, which is the specification of the color of a pixel on a display screen using a 24-bit value, which allows the possibility of up to 16777216 possible colors.

Colored MATERIALS is a complicated matter of light absorbtion and reflection and so on. Add any pigment to your supposed 'clear' base for mixing (which they aren't) and it's even more complicated. If you look at the Sennelier powder pigments on Blick, you will see several reds. They are varied because they themselves come from different substances.

If you want colors that look primary to you, look for synthetic powders. Those from the soil and from plants won't be what you want.

And I'll say it AGAIN - you can't 'get all colors from 3 primary colors.' That's a myth.

And there is no one type pigment that can be used to mix with all base substances!

You have to decide how you want to define primary colors for powdered pigments. There are companies who set some of the world standards for colors, and I gave you one. Coats and Clarks sets standards for anything cloth related.

You aren't trying to understand what color is before leaping into the deep end of the ocean.
    I have put a lot of work into these answers, and you aren't listening.
    Since you weren't interested in researching, try this link for very basic info: http://www.greatreality.com/ColorPrimary.htm
    Expert

Feb 9, 2015, 07:50 AM
    Perhaps it would help if you explained your project, or purpose for your experiment. Your app may be an excellent guide to digital teaching, but mixing colors for the desired one you seek is more a creative process than a mathematical equation.

I agree with Joy in that you may be confusing the whole purpose of the color wheel as a guide to create the colors and hues you want to use. Have you ever painted before? ​Or are you depending on this app to create for you?

Feb 9, 2015, 11:18 PM
    joypulv:Thanks for your time. I think you are answering my questions: I will look iinto it further to understand better. In short I probably willl not be able to continue with my project.

Feb 10, 2015, 11:16 AM
    "mozez, you didn't read about color theory. There is no such thing as a 'true' color except on computer displays and TVs. You are going by an app for true color, which is the specification of the color of a pixel on a display screen using a 24-bit value, which allows the possibility of up to 16777216 possible colors."

But, if you push your print button to print practically any color-pixel etc on your computer monitor, your inkjet cartridge containing only 3 primary colors plus black will print your color, shade , hue etc.
    Expert

Feb 10, 2015, 11:36 AM
    If your medium is print, why are you buying powdered colors to mix? Why are so mysterious about your medium, AND nature of your project? At least review your app, and see what medium it specifies, or applies.

That would at least clarify things for you.

Feb 10, 2015, 12:01 PM
    I was only responding to joypulv, that in fact with only 3-4 colors, and using a material (ink) as opposed to light, you can in fact creat practically every color and shade.
    Expert

Feb 10, 2015, 01:29 PM
    That can be done in any medium you so choose to work in.
    Expert

Feb 10, 2015, 02:29 PM
    I am so glad I don't have to mix colours anymore ! I work in stained glass, it is already accomplished for me, expensively, but available. And my possibilities for texture and colour are endless !

i am looking around my house at paintings by jan dorer, in acrylic, and she certainly doesn't have a wide palette in any of them because they are mostly nature scenes. They are unique and beautiful in a natural colour palette.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How to mix a primary color from other primary colors [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. Yes I know the title makes no sense. Im trying to buy some textile paints for the airbrush. Trouble is these are the colors offered-Blue(Green) Red(Orange) Yellow(Green). I rang to ask what that means assuming it means they are not pure primarys and she said the color in brackets is a kind...

Tips on mixing 2 different hair colors? [ 1 Answers ]

I want to mix revlon #47 Med rich brown, and #54 light golden brown. I have blue eyes and very fair skin. I am 52 years old and do not want to look any older! Lol Thanks

Is Mixing Hair colors together okay? [ 4 Answers ]

Is Mixing Hair colors together okay or will two different colors create an undesirable result?? Please help. I want to mix a strawberry blonde and a golden blonde... What do you think?? Thank You Val

Mixing colors of leather furniture.(with pictures) [ 2 Answers ]

We have a saddle colored leather sofa that is 6.5 years old now with 2 matching ottomans. This is in a family room/gameroom of our house. There are no tables as a lot of TV watching/game playing etc. happens in the center of the floor - usually on bean bags. I would like to add a rocker/recliner...

Primary colors [ 3 Answers ]

What are the primary colors?

View more questions Search