Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NCTOFL Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Feb 5, 2015, 10:19 PM
    Landlord Lied!
    We recently rented a house that from appearance seemed charming. It has a solar heated pool. Boat lift sprinkler system, washer dryer,ETC,
    Met with home owner who assured us everything worked and home was pristine ! Everything was new and updated.
    After first night we noticed roaches and rats! Nothing in home works! Pool leaks water so bad we have to constantly add water every couple days. Pool pump doesn't work Solar panel does not work, Sprinkler system does not work. Boat lift hits dock. Washer don't work. Dryer won't shut off. Toilets run Drains are stopped up. AC won't cool house. The list goes on & on.
    We have brought this to his attention on second day here he claimed to know nothing and blamed us for roach problem. The only thing we had moved in was some clothes at this point.
    We met neighbors and was told that the last tenant broke the lease after 3 months because of same issues. The tenant before sued him for same issues described above. The owner has been aware of the issues here for at least 4 years.
    Is there any thing we can do to get out of this situation legally ?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 03:13 AM
    Notify him of issues, demand repair.

Move, contact prior tenants to use as witnesses if he sues you.

Consider suing for any cost you are out.

You may consider hiring an attorney, and formally withholding rent till items fixed, but that may not work either.

Also issues of pool leaking, boat dock and more, is it all in the lease as working, specificly listed.
    NCTOFL Posts: 37, Reputation: 2

Feb 6, 2015, 05:29 AM
    Yes and no. In fact what the lease does say is all the things that are wrong. I will not be refunded my deposit If I cause these or leave these behind right down to rats and roaches ! We have notified him he denies everything. We have been here 1 month on the 01/02/15 Have still not moved anything but our clothes in and a blow up mattress. I do not want to risk getting bugs in my furniture. We have requested to meet him to pay rent and discuss issues. He will not answer phone or reply to text. Just a text saying rent is due!!
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 08:18 AM
    You start by documenting everything, and put your issues in writing, and actual pictures/video if possible. If you decide to break the lease, then EXPECT to go to court, and best be represented. Most leases require you to pay rent, and give the landlord a reasonable time to effect repairs.

Have a lawyer review your issues, and advise you on this, before it gets any messier.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New landlord - do old landlord's verbal agreements carry over? [ 3 Answers ]

I recently purchased a multi-family building. The current tenant is on a lease. A verbal agreement was made between the old landlord and tenant to allow a trampoline. The trampoline is not mentioned in the lease at all. I told the tenant the trampoline had to be removed. The tenant insists on...

My boyfriend lied to me for months and I lied to him once just recently, what do I do [ 5 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I started dating June 4th 2010 & He cheated on me in September and I didn't know until November when he had cheated on me again and I found out that one in a bad way.. He didn't tell me the truth about how he cheated or anything... I broke up with him when I found out (The day...

I lied To My boyfriend abnout my age,after he knew I lied to him about something else [ 11 Answers ]

Hey,Okay I met my Boyfriend on a chat zone we met on a date and I fell in love with him,and now I think I love him,But my conscious is bothering me.I told him I was 17 and Im actually 16,He just turned 20,2 weeks ago and now he thinks Im 17,and I want to come clean.I lied to him before and I told...

Landlord withholding deposit and lied about condition of house on move-out [ 5 Answers ]

Hi there we live in Pa and moved into a house on 5/20/07 and upon move in realized the carpeting was disgusting and the entire house smelled like cat urine. Nothing had been cleaned (including a lot of the former tenants toiletries in the bathrooms). We cleaned it ourselves and repeatedly asked the...

I've lied. What should I do? [ 7 Answers ]

I cheated at school. My teacher is suspicious and so are my parents. I can't stop myself from denying that fact that I scored my own papers. What should I do?

View more questions Search