Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lckeehne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 5, 2015, 11:13 AM
    Water in natural gas line symptoms
    My grill is on natural gas from meter. The flame starts up but within a second it is dropping, then you can hear the gas flow again for another second. I am suspecting water in the line, but not sure.

The line is only 5 years old, but runs under my patio next to planter, where ground cover died. I could sligtly smell gas in the area, so I turned off gas line to grill. I think that is when water entered gas line.

Without ripping up patio slab, what are my next steps?
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Feb 5, 2015, 11:36 AM
    Turn off the gas to that line. Cut the line and permanently cap it. Remove any exposed sections of the line. Start using propane.

Either that or dig up the patio and replace the line.

Very dangerous situation.
    Either replace the line properly or render it totally unusable, by yourself or anyone else.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Feb 5, 2015, 01:39 PM
    I am with Herald gas leak is very dangerous please open the link below for more information, Thanks.

John

AE Kids : Why Natural Gas is Dangerous
    Milo Dolezal Posts: 7,192, Reputation: 523
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 5, 2015, 05:51 PM
    Yes, turn OFF Gas. Have licensed plumber to examine it and to suggest either repair or replacement.

Milo
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 5, 2015, 06:25 PM
    The gas is what killed your ground cover, shut it off because it can kill more things like you or pets. You gas company will come out and check for leaks free of charge. However, if they find a leak they may take drastic steps. Propane and a new oriface are your cheapest steps.
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 5, 2015, 08:03 PM
    Agree with Harold. In my area, Gas Co. will shut off gas and will put a lock on it shutting off gas supply for the entire property. Plumber has to come, make necessary repairs - then call Gas Co. for restoring gas service. Deal with it promptly.

Milo
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Feb 5, 2015, 08:51 PM
    I hate it when I am unable to do a reply or quote on a thread the reply button is missing.

I want to ask why " Propane and a new orifice are your cheapest steps." and is Propane any safer?
    Plumbing Expert

Feb 5, 2015, 08:55 PM
    I may be wrong - but I think what Bob meant was that it is cheaper to buy Propane tank for your BBQ + to change orifice in the BBQ ( from natural gas to propane ) - than running new rigid gas line. Abandon leaking gas line completely by capping it off at its source.

Propane is not necessarily safer, but in some situations it may be very convenient to have propane-burning BBQ.

Milo
    catonsville Posts: 894, Reputation: 91

Feb 5, 2015, 09:28 PM
    I think you are right on Milo.
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Feb 6, 2015, 04:33 PM
    All good above, but I wanted to know where the gas shutoff is in relation to the BBQ. If the shutoff is inside you could shut it off and test the gas line for leaks from the BBQ to the shutoff lusing air pressure and a simple gauge... depending on how handy you are.

Mark
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Feb 8, 2015, 06:59 PM
    Sorry on the road all day. Yes, propane tank and a propane orifice is just a cheaper way of keeping the grill going without expensive tearing out of the patio.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Above ground pool over natural gas line [ 1 Answers ]

Recommended depth for gas line is 18", i installed mine 26" to 28"... the gas line was installed by professionals. Now we want to add a above ground pool sitting on top.. would this be a problem?

How to find source of water in natural gas line? [ 3 Answers ]

How to determine cause of water in natural gas line? Gas service was shut off for a number of months (at least 3, at most 6) and when restarting service could get no gas flow due to COPIOUS amounts of water in the line (Gas meter was actually FULL of it, and water GUSHING out of pipe near basement...

Running a natural gas line to the kitchen [ 1 Answers ]

I have a dying electric stove and want to replace it with gas... anyone know how difficult and/or expensive it is to run a gas line to the kitchen? We have a gas furnace and water heater in the garage, which adjoins the kitchen. Just starting to look at ballpark figures...

Natural gas line size [ 2 Answers ]

I'm installing an electrical generator that runs on natural gas. The 100% load says it uses 560 ft3/ hr. if I run a line 200ft from where the meter is, what size pipe do I need? There is a 1 1/2" line 40 ft away running to a hvac unit. Can I tap off that?

Attaching Flex Natural Gas line. [ 2 Answers ]

I am attaching a new fex gas line to a new cook top. The new line comes with flare fittings that screw into the flex hose fitting. Should I use any sealant on the threads of the flare fitting. Thanks.

View more questions Search