Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 9, 2007, 02:52 PM
    Feeding my goat too much?
    New to the goat thing-can you feed a goat too much? She's in the process of weaning twins. We give about a coffee can full of feed twice daily plus hay and free feed. Babies will eat feed, too but she gets the most of it.
    She will not hush! Is she crying because she's hungry or about to explode? She's been here for 2 weeks and she did come from a large farm with lots of "friends".
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 03:32 PM
    I am sure there are probably other people here who are well versed in goat care. I will admit that I am an idiot when it comes to this.

But, I found a website that talks about what/how much to feed, among a lot of other great info on goats. Scroll down to the feeding info lower down on the page.

Fias Co Farm- Feeding your goats

When you get a chance, look over the entire website. A lot of wonderful info there.

Personally, goats kind of freak me out. Those weird eyes (pupils) scare the pitbull poop right out of me. And, they smell pretty awful too.

Oh, before I forget. Have a great day! :D
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Sorry just had to make a note, this truly proves you can find any type of question on here, advice on feeding goats, I have seen it all now.

To the poster, great question, thank you for using the site.

To Ruby, you got my "goat" on this one knowing the answer
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 04:46 PM
    Thank you Fr Chuck. The internet is now my equivalent of the old "let your fingers do the walking" commercials. Normally, I wouldn't be so silly but MrsC already knows what a moron I can be. You should see all the nasty things I write to her in PMs. :eek:

Apr 9, 2007, 04:57 PM
    Hey! What about my exploding goats, I ask you! You talk amounst yourselves... go ahead, I'll wait...
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 06:28 PM
    Hey! Didjah look at that link at all? Huh? Didjah? Sheesh, try and help out a Texan and this is the thanks I get! I think the snow you got yesterday discombobulated you.
    By the way, since I don't know the size/weight of your coffee cans, you need to do a little calculation on your own lady. I can't think of everything. :rolleyes:

Here is the info taken directly from the link. I am assuming since she is still nursing, this applies to her. If not, they do list feeding Does that are not nursing:

Does-
    in milk

If you want milk, you must feed your goat accordingly.
    Be aware that with dairy goats, their milk production is about 9 to 10 per cent of their body weight, whereas a dairy cow produces 5 to 6 per cent of their body weight daily as milk. To maintain this level of milk production a dairy goat needs to eat between 5 to 7 per cent of her body weight daily; a dairy cow eats up to 4 per cent of her body weight per day. Be award that many times, no matter how much you feed, the doe will get thin. Does will put everything they have into milk production. It takes more out of a doe to make milk than to make babies!

2 - 3 pounds of grain per day depending on milk production
    1 cup of black oil sunflower seeds (if she likes them)
    2 Tbls Diamond V Yeast Culture
    1 tsp. Herbal Dietary Supplement
    (Note: We let the mothers nurse their kids and we only milk once a day; see milking once a day)
    a cup of Black Oil Sunflower Seeds
    Hay: twice a day in winter/ once a day in summer. (How often you will need to feed hay depends on your particular situation)
    Pasture/Browse, minerals and water free choice at all times.

Apr 9, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Blah, blah, blah-did I just get a b*tch goat? Figures! I'm going to contact the goat lady down the road. I'm going to pee in your Post Toasties.
    Pubilc Service Message... the above post was an intimate dialog between Ruby Bull of Pit and myself. Pay no attention...
    Later!
    Ultra Member

Apr 9, 2007, 06:50 PM
    Mrsc, ROFLMAO

All I have to say is

Baaaahhhhh

Humbug.
    pompano Posts: 293, Reputation: 40

Jun 19, 2007, 10:09 PM
    Most goats after giving birth will lose a lot of wait because the babies drain it off while nursing.She needs lots of food to stay on top of her game.My goats will stop eating if they are full.Don't forget to deworm at 6 weeks for the babies.
    Treeny Posts: 229, Reputation: 20

Aug 26, 2007, 02:55 PM
    We had a little pygmy goat once, her name was annabell she was like a dog,
    They make a good pet and are so sweet. Any way I think I remember that they can collic
    If fed too much you may want to investigate this as its been a long time.
    Good luck!
    goatsrule Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 06:08 PM
    Pompano--
    Goats and sheep are not like dogs and cats who DO pass worms onto their young. Goats do NOT need to be dewormed @ 6 weeks because they do not "inherit" worms from their mother, IF she even has them (that's the 1st quesstion; next would be what kind; after that, what the worm's "load" is... ) Goat kids do not need deworming until at least one full grazing season, IF & ONLY IF they are grazing in a pasture that's infected w/the manure of goats or sheep that are carrying worms. If the kids are in a dry lot--no graze available--& are fed hay & goat chow, there's no chance that they'll become infected w/worms even if they live w/infected animals as they are not ingesting worm larvae from grazing grass, which is how the worms get into the animal. Goat does do not pass worms through their milk, either. Goats only get worms by grazing pasture where manure from infected animals is present.
    goatsrule Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 29, 2010, 06:25 PM

Pompano--
    Goats are not like dogs & cats who DO pass worms on to their young. Goat kids do NOT need to be dewormed @ 6 weeks--maybe never--because they are NOT born w/worms in their gut as are pups & kits. Goats become infected w/worms by ingesting larvae from infested pasture where manure from infected animals is present. Goat does do not pass worms to their kids through their milk. Goat kids will not need deworming until they have been through one full grazing season, & then only if the pasture has worm egg-infested manure from infected animals present. If kids are in dry lot--no graze present--& fed hay & goat chow, they will be free of worms even if the dam has them. The only way a kid will get infected w/worms is if it eats graze that has worm larvae on it--is how the worm infects the goat. Please don't tell people to deworm animals as a matter of course--have the animal tested by a veterinarian FIRST to determine whether the animal is infected, with what, & which dewormer will be most effective for the type of parasite present. Deworming w/o this information only leads to the development of drug-resistant parasites--something NO animal owner wants!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Pygmy goat behavior [ 2 Answers ]

I have a female pygmy goat that is about seven years old. The last couple of months she has been trying to "ride" the other goats. She chases them constantly. I put her in a fenced in area so the other goats can rest. She even tries to ride me. What in the world is going on with her??

Goat away [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, Nice forum. My name is Michael and my wife and I just bought a house in the country. Absolutely love everything about it.Except for a neighbors goat! I have tried numerous times to cath our new neighbor at home to discuss this but have failed so far. She has beautiful Horses, and Swans, and...

Rott attack a baby goat? [ 3 Answers ]

My daughter raise goats, the rott they have about 1 year old got out of the pen and attack the baby goat. She had the vet take care of the goat damage to rear leg, was doing just fine. THe ROtt got out his pen again and got into the goat pen with the same goat in it and attack him again. Hadto...

Goat Milk Soap [ 1 Answers ]

What (dis)advantages does it have over the regulars?

View more questions Search