Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rdm1972 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2015, 09:31 AM
    If was separated last year what is the best way for filing.
    I lived out of the home. My spouse, who was unemployed, lived in the home with our two children. Not sure how to file.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 10:59 AM
    By "separated", do you mean there was a legal action filed for spousal separation (often a prelude to divorce), or were you simply not living with your spouse?

In either case, if you were not legally divorced last year, I believe you can file a joint US federal income tax return (assuming that's what you mean). Compute your taxes both ways (married, filing jointly, or married, filing separately) to determine which would be best for you, but if I had to guess, I'd say a joint return would be best.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Separated and spouse is filing for bankruptcy [ 3 Answers ]

I just received information from my spouse, whom I have been separated from for the last two years (divorce is on the way once the cost of a lawyer is gathered), that they are filing for bankruptcy. Will this effect me in any way negatively? The only thing that we have joint debt in is a...

Filing Taxes if not legally separated [ 1 Answers ]

Me and my spouse have been separated for about 2 years. Last year, we agreed to file together since we lived together during that tax year for more than 6 months. For the 2008 tax year, we agreed that I would count the kids on my taxes and file head of household. He would file his own taxes. ...

Separated but not divorced filing I-751 [ 1 Answers ]

I need to know how to fill out the I-751 form if I have been separated but still married since there is no waiver or exemption for that status. I have tax returns joint and even my id with the same address but we don't live together anymore. How do I procedure? Thanks in advance

Not Legally separated - Filing Status [ 1 Answers ]

I am not yet legally separated fro my spouse but will be by the end of 2008. My ex-husband and I are getting ready to file taxes. Technically he does not live in the home that my children and I do because he works all over the country. Every three to four weeks he flys in to see the children at...

SHould you be legally separated before filing for/or while filing for divorce? [ 4 Answers ]

What is the advantage of being legally separated while filing for divorce? Common sense tells me that a separation PRIOR to a divorce is to afford a couple some time to possibly reconcile before filing for divorce. But, if you went straight for a divorce, would you need to file for a separation?...

View more questions Search