Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    upintheskyguy420man Posts: 104, Reputation: 1

Feb 4, 2015, 12:43 AM
    A/V Police Surveillance On Scene-Vermont
    I live in Southern Vermont. An injustice occurred some time ago, and I would like to expose some very uncomfortable truths. I was hoping that someone could tell me where to go that I may discern if and (more importantly) when police in my town were required to start wearing recording devices on the scene of, let's say, reports of domestic arguments/violence. Or in general. Thanks to any and all who can help.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 4, 2015, 05:46 AM
    Depends on what local government the police report to. If they are town police, then you go to the Town Clerk for a list of laws. They may be county, however and you might have to go to that level.

Also, there may be a limit on how long they keep those recordings.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 08:08 AM
    Do you really want to know when recordings were required, or do you actually want to get a copy of such a recording, assuming one was made? Start by asking for the recording. If you are told that one doesn't exist, then you ask other questions (like: was one made; if not, from when was recording first required. if one was made, when and why was it deleted, etc.).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 4, 2015, 07:00 PM
    Unless there are some specific local laws, there are not requirements for them to record. If there is no arrest normally recordings on police video are recycled. Ours recycled every 14 days.

Many departments have a required arrest, if there is obvious signs of abuse or violence. If there is no arrest made, often no official police report is done, merely a log note that officers went to that address.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Laws if one leaves the scene of an accident and comes back later to call police [ 0 Answers ]

I want to know what are the laws if someone who is involved in an accident leaves the scene of the accident before police arrive and then comes back later, after they have run their errand, and files a police report. The other party left after the second party never returned. No info was exchanged....

The Surveillance state [ 15 Answers ]

Hello: Some people say that it's really OK if the NSA spies on us because they're ONLY listening to phone calls where one person is OUT of the country... Besides that, they're NOT terrorists, so they don't have anything to worry about, EVEN if their phone calls are listened to.. I, of...

Vermont [ 1 Answers ]

I am providing private care and I receive my gross amount each week for my income. I awil be responsible for my own dfederal & State taxes to be paid. The client will be paying my SS, so I will not have to pay any SS, Medicare Tax on this income. This has never happened to me where someone...

Caught shoplifting fled scene contacted by police now what [ 3 Answers ]

2nd time getting caught stealing walked out as they chased me scared got in car and drove away. They got tag gave to a detective then I was told they were going to press charges and haven't heard anything since. Its been a week and I am dying here what is going to happen to me? I am a adult! Time...

View more questions Search