Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    3milllenium Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2015, 07:28 PM
    What's the difference between a Tesla-coil and a transformer
    A Tesla-coil seems to be transformer only differing in it's geometrical design?
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Feb 3, 2015, 01:10 PM
    The basic concept is similar but they are used for different purposes. Internally they are different and the output is very different. Think of a Tesla coil as the coil or coil pack in your car. Very high voltage and low current. So, starting with 12 V, you get 20,000V. With a transformer, the wiring design influences the output, typically higher amperage and lower voltages. Your house is a good example, 480 V at the pole, 240 at your house, 200-400 Amps. If you Google "Tesla coil vs a transformer", you can find the design details and how they differ. Tesla was quite a unique inventor who espoused AC voltage when Edison was for DC. Glad AC won out.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is the difference between a cased & uncased evaporator coil, besides the case; [ 0 Answers ]

Is one better than the other; work for different applications; work in different furnaces, etc?

Can rf/emi filter protect house wiring from Tesla coil? [ 4 Answers ]

I have a 20 amp emi/rf filter connected from my house outlet, which is standard U.S. current, to my high voltage, high frequency Tesla Coil.The emi filter is made to stop interference or damaging spikes from going from the house outlet into a device. However, will the filter stop spikes going FROM...

Building tesla coil first timer will not fire up [ 2 Answers ]

I have car coil driven by 555 ic that part seems to work fine From car coil I have 3 20Kv 500pF caps then my spark gap Conneted to my pri. Pri is 3/16 copper wire 8'' dia approx 6'' tall At 7 windings Sec is 28ga wire 3 1/2 dia 14 1/2 '' tall 1080 windings Can't get any spark at the spark...

Tesla Coil [ 3 Answers ]

Does anyone have good plans for a vacuum tube tesla coil? I built the spark gap variety years ago and would now like to explore a vacuum tube version. I'm looking for something fairly small and manageable - not those massive designs with a gazillion volt potential . :eek: Thanks...

View more questions Search