Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tmarking Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Feb 2, 2015, 07:28 AM
    Non-Puerto-Rican US citizen gain PR citizenship, be eligible for Spanish citizenship?
    If I understand, a non-Puerto Rican US citizen can live on the island for one year, and be eligible for Puerto Rican citizenship. Spain recognizes Puerto Rican citizenship, and after two years residence, one can be eligible for Spanish (and EU) citizenship. Is this path to Spanish citizenship available to a non-PR US citizen?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 2, 2015, 09:01 AM
    That is interesting:

"Since 2007, the Puerto Rico State Department has developed a protocol to issue certificates of Puerto Rican citizenship to Puerto Ricans. In order to be eligible, applicants must have been born in Puerto Rico; born outside of Puerto Rico to a Puerto Rican-born parent; or be an American citizen with at least one year residence in Puerto Rico. The citizenship is internationally recognized by Spain, which considers Puerto Rico to be an Ibero-American nation. Therefore, Puerto Rican citizens have the ability to apply for Spanish citizenship after only two years residency in Spain (instead of the standard 10 years)." (emphasis added) https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto...t_and_politics

See also: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Puerto...tment_of_State

Feb 2, 2015, 12:14 PM
    Thanks, AK lawyer. Yes, this is exactly why I asked. An intriguing route to Spanish and EU citizenship for a run-of-the-mill US citizen, if it's possible. Looking for a definitive answer, which may require knowledge of PR, Spain, EU, and probably US citizenship/immigration/naturalization law and procedures. Further thoughts or knowledge welcome.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 2, 2015, 01:27 PM
    Unfortunately, the paragraph I quoted seems to lack a citation as to source (as Wikipedia articles are supposed to contain). But assuming the quote is a correct statement, it would appear that a "certificate of Puerto Rican citizenship" would do the trick, assuming Spain doesn't require a Puerto Rican or Hispanic heritage (it doesn't appear to). Your best bet would be to contact the Spanish government.

I have my doubts about this "Puerto Rico Department of State". The Commonwealth of PR doesn't have the authority to conduct foreign relations, as the name of the department implies. But whatever floats the Spanish boat, I guess.

Feb 2, 2015, 06:50 PM
    Thanks, AK lawyer. I poked around some more, and found the actual 2-page application form for a PR citizenship certificate, and it seems to explicitly have allowances for US citizens not necessariily of Puerto Rican heritage or birth. All that's required is one year residence in PR, demonstrated by two of three utility bills for 12 months: electric, water, or phone. Link:

http://pr.gov/Attachments/pdf/023%20...torriqueña.pdf

Then, I am imagining, hie thee to the Spanish Embassy or Consulate to apply for two years' residence In Spain, then apply for citizenship after the two,years' residency. I also imagine checking carefully with Spanish officials is in order, to verify their acceptance of the PR citizenship certificate.

So, is there a finders' fee for this imaginitive and creative approach to EU citizenship? Just asking... I had no idea.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If my mom was a german citizen can I gain german citizenship [ 0 Answers ]

My mom was born in Germany in 1968 and moved to Canada when she was three years old. In her twenties she gained Canadian citizenship. I was born in 1994 in Canada. Am I able to gain German citizenship or dual Canadian-German citizenship as a result of her being German decent? I have been unable to...

Grandaughter of French Citizen Believes Eligible for Dual Citizenship (French/USA) [ 1 Answers ]

I recently visited my Aunt (in California) and she gave me a sparse amount of information to the effect as follows: 1.) Even though I was born in California and live in Washington State, because my grandmother was a French citizen that never naturalized American (never became and American...

How do I gain citizenship in europe and renounce my citizenship in America [ 23 Answers ]

I have always wanted to move away from the U.S. but I want to do it permanently without the hassle of work visas and "checking in" every year or so. All the flights are very expensive as well. I was told by an acquaintance that I can even receive money for renouncing my citizenship! How do I go...

Spanish citizenship [ 1 Answers ]

I have heard if you have some family in Spain that you could apply for citizenship to spain ?:confused:

View more questions Search