Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    semaj25 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2015, 03:26 PM
    Lawyer failed to tell me court date had changed now a warrant is out for my arrest
    Lawyer failed to tell me that my court date had been brought forward, resulting in a warrant being issued for my arrest. I asked my lawyer to explain why I had not turned up at court to Procurator Fiscal and to ask for another court date and for warrant to be quashed. The PF refused saying I did not have a good enough reason for not turning up. I think this is unfair I am in my sixties I have never been in trouble before. I have been accused wrongly of benefit fraud and the criminal trial will be in the Sheriff court Scotland. I fear that this failure to appear will go against me. I also fear that I have chosen the wrong lawyer. HELP!
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 1, 2015, 04:33 PM
    You surrender yourself to the police immediately. Tell them you were not informed about the change in dates and only just learned about the warrant. As soon as you did you came in to surrender yourself. I doubt if you will be arrested. A new hearing will be scheduled and you should get a new attorney.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 2, 2015, 07:11 AM
    I doubt if you will be arrested
    Surrendering oneself to the police is, in effect, saying "Here I am. arrest me.". I don't believe the police would have any discretion. If there is an outstanding arrest warrant, they would have to take OP into custody.

OP will be held until the court decides to release OP.

I suggest that OP find another lawyer and get legal advice regarding how to handle this situation before surrendering to the police.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 2, 2015, 09:36 AM
    While I don't disagree with AK, let me clarify. I don't think you will be detained. Clearly they will process you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have to pay my lawyer by my court date? [ 5 Answers ]

So I made a mistake 1 year ago and have been trying to end it since then(my first misdemeanor the won't show up once I get through court) My lawyer never contacts me to remind me of my next court date and wasn't even there my last court date(his secretary was) his fee is $500 and I have paid $200...

Is it legal to serve an arrest warrant w/out the proper seal of auth. From the court? [ 4 Answers ]

One day a wildlife officer came to my house to question me about a possible illegal sale of saltwater fish. I thought I had the proper commercial licenses and cooperated with his questions. I felt that I had done nothing illegal but according to him I was missing a permit. A week later he...

Custody court date assigned, but not lawyer [ 14 Answers ]

My husband is currently seeking custody of his children in NY State and at the initial hearing, both parents asked for a continuation in order to seek counsel. My husband applied for a lawyer through the clerk's office and I assume his ex-wife did as well since she often makes reference to her...

Awaiting lawyer to get court date for a year [ 10 Answers ]

I am in the middle of a lawsuit where my daughter was injured. It's an open and shut case (the school is responsible and will have to pay) but of course for the last three years we've been getting jerked around by the lawyers and I'm tired of this whole last year being told (as my lawyer always...

Default Judgement for Lawyer missing court date [ 4 Answers ]

A default judgement was granted against me in the amount of $100,000 for my attorney missing court. We filed a motion to reconsider and was granted a new trial in open court. However, the judge did not sign the order for another month and we lost the appeal is the state appellate court. I have nor...

View more questions Search