Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sagnik2422 Posts: 77, Reputation: 1

Feb 1, 2015, 10:55 AM
    Accounting Break Even Dollar Sales Question Need Help
    slo Company prepared the following contribution format income statement based on a sales volume of 1,000 units (the relevant range of production is 500 units to 1,500 units):

Sales $ 22,100
    Variable expenses 12,700

Contribution margin 9,400
    Fixed expenses 7,708

Net operating income $ 1,692

​Question : What is the margin of safety in dollars?

MY WORK : I took the sales of $22,100 and I subtracted the break even sales at 820 units (break even point in unit sales which was marked correct for me) of $18,124 ( break even dollar sales which was marked correct for me) and I got $3976 which was marked wrong. I tried rounding up to $3980 but this was marked incorrect. I want to also say that I got the margin of safety percentage correct which I obtained by taking 3976 and dividing it by 22,100 sales to get 18%.

Check out some similar questions!

Cost Accounting Break Even Question Need Help [ 1 Answers ]

Santa Fe Electronics sells televisions. The average selling price of a TV is $970. The TV's are purchased from manufacturers at an average cost of $680 per unit, which includes shipping. Since customers pick up TVs directly from the shop, the company pays no delivery charge. Sales people are paid a...

Break Even Sales Revenue Accounting Question [ 1 Answers ]

Lincoln Corporation produces and sells two produtcs : Standard and Deluxe. The info on the two products sold for the last month is given below. The common fixed cost is $15,000. Standard : Sales : $45,000 Variable Expenses : $36,000 Deluxe : Sales : $33,000 Variable Expenses : $16,500 Suppose...

Break-Even Sales and Sales Mix for a Service Company [ 0 Answers ]

Sunshine Airways provides air transportation services between Philadelphia and Orlando. A single Philadelphia to Orlando round-trip flight has the following operating statistics: It is assumed that the fuel, crew salaries, and airplane depreciation are fixed, regardless of the number of seats...

Net dollar sales projections [ 1 Answers ]

Not sure if I did this correctly, most problems have had a very systematic formula. This seems rather messy. I would appreciate any help. ER Medical Supplies had sales of 2,000 units at $160 per unit last year. The marketing manager projects a 25 percent increase in unit volume this year with...

View more questions Search

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.