Ask
    vpatel4u Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Feb 24, 2015, 10:16 PM
    Thanks ATE
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Feb 24, 2015, 10:46 PM
    Glad to help!

If you want professional help to submit the late FBARs, please email me at the email address in my profile.
    magachart Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2015, 09:18 AM
    >ANY type of bank account (NRO, NRI, NRE, whatever), stock/bond/mutual funds accounts, fixed deposit accounts, life insurance that has a cash value, and >any PRIVATE pension plan (but NOT the Provident fund).

Why not provident funds (india) ? Those are like bank accounts, and you earn interest and you can even withdraw after a certain number of years. At least those are FBAR reportable, and interest too is likely reportable.

I would actually say that private pension plans are not FBAR reportable since there isn't a specific 'account'.

>Then amend your returns and report the interest, paying the taxes, penalties and interest >if any taxes are due (which might NOT be the case after you claim the Foreign Tax Credit >for the 10% TDS that Indian assesses on the interest that Indian banks pay.

You can only claim tax credits if the tax is actually due to India, not if its just withheld. For $3000 or so, for a senior citizen, there may be no Indian income tax due. TDS or not, the tax is not actually due, and if you didn't claim a refund in India, that's not the IRS"s fault.

Although you can likely take a deduction in any case...
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 7, 2015, 10:17 AM
    It is my understanding that there are TWO type of provident funds.

One is PUBLIC, which is managed by the government.

The other is PRIVATE. The PRIVATE provident funds ARE FBAR reportable, but the interest is NOT taxable.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Are failed drug test in a DAC report? [ 0 Answers ]

I want to know something about it.

Failed a UA in dec 2010(My first UA failed since I got on probation). [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I have been on probation in Florida since Aug 2008 for a dui and GTA. I have paid all restitution and completed everything as ordered by the court. I however failed a UA in dec 2010(My first UA failed since I got on probation). My probation officer however said he wasn't going to violate me....

Can a debt collector report on a credit report that the wrong date was open [ 2 Answers ]

Your post is somewhat confusing, but this is my best guess: You opened a credit card in 2005 and defaulted on the payments. The credit card company sold the debt to a collection agency, probably in 2008, so the agency is listing their open date as 2008. You want to know if this is legal......

Failed to report to work realese if I see the judge what will happen [ 1 Answers ]

I was convicted of 2nd degree burglary I was put on probation and part of that was work realese and I signed up and paid but I had a family 911 I didn't show up and I found out I have a warrant if I go to see the judge will they lock me up and if so how long I don't want leave my 3 kids too long...

Failed to report income? [ 3 Answers ]

A friend of mine moved from California to North Carolina in October 2005. Before she moved, she withdrew approximately $32,000 from her retirement fund and taxes were withheld. However, when she filed her income taxes, she didn't think she had to claim it, because she had already paid the taxes. ...

View more questions Search