Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    BruJan Posts: 38, Reputation: 1

Jan 31, 2015, 07:26 PM
    Can I use an outlet receptacle for either a dishwasher or a garbage disposal?
    Does a dishwasher or garbage disposal have to hard wired into a electric box or can they simply plug into a receptacle?
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Feb 1, 2015, 08:30 AM
    It depends.
    If the manufacturer allows it as a method of installation it is OK. Failure to do what they instruct can void the warranty. In reality, I have seen more with plugs than hard wired, in both applications.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Feb 1, 2015, 08:34 AM
    Both can be wired via cord and plug.
    Most disposals are wired this way, and more and more DWs are coming with cord and plug from the factory.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Garbage disposal outlet lower than drain [ 3 Answers ]

My garbage disposal drain is about 1" lower than the drain connect sticking out of the wall drain? Will it still work?

Dishwasher and garbage disposal [ 4 Answers ]

I am replacing my sink and the new sink does not have a hole for the vent that my old sink had. I've read that I can loop the dishwasher hose to vent but then what do I do about the hose that went from the garbage disposal to the old vent on the old sink? My dishwasher drainage hose was connected...

Dishwasher and Garbage Disposal [ 13 Answers ]

I am about to install a new dishwasher and garbage disposal. All of the instructions I can find on the internet indicate that the waste hose from the dishwasher attaches to the garbage disposal, and that the waste hose from the garbage disposal then attaches to the house's waste drainage...

Wiring a gfi receptacle for a garbage disposal [ 3 Answers ]

Trying to wire a gfi receptical with 14/2 w/gnd for a garbage disposal, in a very old house and the supply wire is not grounded, as far as I understand in electricity, you can't have a ground fault interuption without being grounded, also I tried and the receptical didn't work- it's got to be that,...

View more questions Search