Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    12153dad Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 28, 2015, 09:29 AM
    1099??
    Have a single owner llc. Wife has written several business checks to our sole employee as salary when I'm unavailable to generate payroll check through our intuit pro w/enhanced payroll software. Just learned of this. Now faced with what to do about it. Certainly want to be able to deduct payment for services. Can I generate a 1099 for these monies? Or other solution? Any help greatly appreciated.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2015, 11:04 AM
    Salary needs to be paid regularly on a schedule. If checks were issued in advance of a salary, they should be deducted from payments. If it is too late to deduct from 2014 salary, then do it from 2015. But this does not appear to be 1099 income.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 28, 2015, 11:50 AM
    What do you mean 'deduct payment for services?'
    Salaries are basically wages, with federal and state taxes deducted, and payments such as UI made by the company, and reports made to the respective agencies on a timely basis, possibly quarterly in your case.
    If you go an entire year of sometimes just 'writing checks,' you are in a quagmire. W2s have to be finalized and printed and postmarked or handed out in 3 days.

If you mean you want to issue a 1099, not legal if the employee didn't meet several criteria, then feel free. But he will be paying self employment tax as well as income tax on it, probably with no deductions, so your wish to deduct his pay as an expense takes second place. It isn't fair to him. He can turn you in to the IRS. You can be flagged for an audit.

An IRS payroll audit isn't pretty.

How much in W2 wages was paid, and how much in misc? (Your wife needs to stop being allowed to write checks and you need to start keeping an eye on your business.)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rental Income - Got 1099-Misc but reported it w/out the 1099 [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I did my taxes through turbo tax and when it came to the part about rental income it asked me if I receievd any income that was NOT reported on a 1099-Misc. I said yes and put the amount in. The problem is that I forgot that I did actually get a 1099-Misc form on the income. Do I need to file...

I am in sales and get a 1099. Can I give another person a 1099 for getting leads? [ 1 Answers ]

I sell software and the software company gives me a 1099. Can I get other salespeople to sell the software, pay them a portion of what I get paid, and give them a 1099? I am not a business.

What is the IRS fine ($) for not 1099 getting a 1099 from a contractor? [ 3 Answers ]

I know a 1099 is needed for anyone paid over $600, but what if, for argument sake, one cannot 1099 the contractor because they refuse or don't have a SS#, etc. What are the penalties for this beside not being able to expense the transaction? What does the IRS do?

What if I did not receive a 1099, hubby lost job and cashed 401, but no 1099 received [ 2 Answers ]

Husband lost job, received 401 money,they held out taxes ,but we have not received a 1099,I already e filed our taxes

1099-G and 1099-INT, filing as a non-resident [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I am a citizen of India and filing my taxes as a non-resident for 2006. 1.> I received 1099-G of my 2005 state tax refund. In my 2005 federal tax return I had used the standard deduction on line 11 of 1040NR-EZ i.e "Itemized deductions" line since it is entitled to students from India. Is...

View more questions Search