Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dogwhisperer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 01:31 PM
    My room mate left before the lease was up
    I'm in Mo. My roommate and I both signed the lease on our apartment last May. She left in November and promised to pay her half of the rent to the end of the lease. She hasn't.
    The landlord wants her half of the rent now. Paid in full. If I pay it, can I sue the roommate for what I had to pay in small claims court? What documents do I need to prove this, and what are my chances of getting a judgement against her and garnishing her wages?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 06:57 AM
    Hello dog:

Of course you can sue her. What documents?? Well, a lease with her name on it would be best, plus receipts, canceled checks and stuff. You know, the normal stuff regular people have. Some people always pay in cash and never get receipts. If you're one of those, too bad for you.

What are your chances of winning?? 60/40. What are your chances of garnishing her wages?? 40/60.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 10, 2007, 07:22 AM
    I think you chances of winning are better than 60/40. If you have a signed lease and can show that you paid the rental from November on, you stand a good chance of winning.

As to garnishing her wages. If you know where she works and she doesn't pay when she loses, you can get the court to issue an garnishment order.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lease Termination Question (NJ) - 3 Room-mates on Lease , 1 Is not sure of moving out [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, We are three room-mates sharing a apartment and the lease expires Jan 31,2007. We got a notice to renew the lease last month and need to respond by the 21st of December (this month). Me and one of my other roomie wants to move out and the third roomie is still not sure of moving out. ...

Belongings left behind after termination of lease [ 6 Answers ]

I'm in PA. We have a tenant who requested to terminate her lease, and we accepted her request. We were receiving a Section 8 voucher, but she had not paid her portion of the rent for two months. In my letter accepting her terminating the lease, we told her to be out by November 30. She has...

Room mate not on lease [ 1 Answers ]

Landlord W rents to tenants A and T. Today W got a call from A saying that she wants help getting someone out of their (rented) house. Co-tenant T told friend R he could live there for a while. A thought it would be just a few days. Now R has been there for weeks, messing up the house, paying...

View more questions Search