Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kennedysmom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 01:24 PM
    Any grace period for new home rental leases?
    I just moved into my dream house. It is gorgeous, and there is an offer to let us buy the property at the end of our one year lease. Today the landlord dropped off the copy of the lease and at the bottom there is a starred clause that reads "Landlord may terminate lease with a proper 30 day notice anytime throughout the year contract." This clause is handwritten and my husband and I are BOTH sure it wasn't there when we signed the lease. The landlord promises the clause has always been there but we would not have signed a one-sided lease giving us no security.

My husband asked the landlord to rewrite the lease, taking that clause out. The landlord refuses, stating he needs to protect himself. The problem is that we are locked into the lease for the full year~ we have no 30 day out like he does. It's like he has a month-to-month on his end, but we are locked in on ours. I don't see how that can be legal.

The landlord finally decided that after 30 days, if all is well, he will rewrite the lease without the clause, but we are afraid that after 30 days we will have no out of the lease legally and will be locked in regardless. Is there a grace period on lease contracts in NY, and if so, how many days is it?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 01:30 PM
    You need to think twice about later buying a home from this same man. He dishonesty will reappear in almost every deal. If he wrote that clause you are a month to month tenant and are not locked for a year, your rent is locked but you could leave with a 30 day notice to him. Ask him if he'd now like to reconsider writing a new lease without the clause. There is no grace period by the way, that's for unsolicited sales.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 9, 2007, 01:40 PM
    A handwritten additional clause is not binding, unless you and the landlord has initialed the addition. You need to in certified mail notify him that no additional added wording is binding.

** you needed to get a copy at the time you signed, and you would have had proff,
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2007, 01:41 PM
    Hello k:

Your landlord doesn't understand what a lease is. He wants it be month to month as far as kicking you out, but YOU'RE locked in for a year. Tell him it doesn't work that way.

I know... He thinks it is. There is a message in there. I would listen very closely to it. This is a guy who you NEVER want to do business with, as ballengerb says.

I don't know what you mean by "grace period". If you're asking how many days you can be late with the rent before he drops the hammer on you and takes your house away?? The answer is 2 minutes or less.

Run for the nearest exit.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Rent due-how long is grace period to pay? [ 4 Answers ]

I heard that when rent is due,there is a 5 day grace period to pay before you can be charged late fees. My question is- Is the grace period 5 days including weekends or is it 5 working days excluding weekends and holidays. I live in an apt in the state of California. ...

Grace period for rent [ 8 Answers ]

Is there any grace period after the rent is due in California before a 3 day notice is served?

Summer home, used as a rental [ 1 Answers ]

We bought a cottage in July '06, we fixed it up and enjoyed it for 2 months... after Labor Day we rented it for 3 months in 2006 for $700/month... Our full payment (monthly) is $1400. What is the best way to file this in our 2006 taxes? Also, we have it for sale now and should make around $34K...

Do I have a grace period after the lease is ended? [ 3 Answers ]

:confused: my lease expired on oct 30th but I needed to wait until nov 1st to move my things into a new place. Now my old landlord is saying that she wants to keep part of my deposit for the extra 2 days I was in the apt. is this legal or do I get some sort of grace period for cleaning and...

View more questions Search