Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Paula Johnson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2015, 12:44 PM
    Puppy with parvo
    My 10 week old dachshund is in the hospital with parvo for the 4th day. She seemed to be doing a little better yesterday afternoon. This morning the vet said she had explosive diareha and blood sugar gone down to nearly nothing. Temp too. They are still working with her but is not hopeful. Please tell me there is a chance she might survive. I am heartbroken!
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2015, 04:09 PM
    Parvo is a very difficult virus to predict. She may pull through and she may not. I'm sorry if my answer is still in the grey zone, but that is how that virus operates. Diarrhea and vomiting are the main killers due to dehydration, but I'm hoping she is on IV fluids. Antibiotics help with the secondary infection. I hope they've added dextrose (sugar) to her bag to help with the sugar loss. Since she does not have a high temp, that is typically a good sign.

I'm sorry your baby has parvo :( I have seen many puppies pull through... It just takes time and she needs to be strong!

I hope she makes it
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 25, 2015, 04:26 PM
    Lucky is optimistic and our front line of defence. I, however, don't give much chance for a pup that has not been fed by the dame until at least eight weeks to establish immunity. Even then a pup not protected from the virus does not have much a chance.

This is what has happened. Your pup was not protected by the breeder, or you bought from a pet shop or a puppy mill. Either way, pray that that little guy is OK.
    Ultra Member

Jan 25, 2015, 04:43 PM
    That is not true.. Dogs have contracted the virus after two vaccines... That is not true at all.. The virus is mutating and is become more aggressive.. Where do you even get this information?? There have been litters that are still with mom that get the virus.

A virus is a virus.. they mutate and can attack anyone. In fact... in Oct.. A 5 year old Boston tested positive for the virus... He had his puppies series...

The immunity of a puppy starts to diminish around 8 weeks which is when vaccines should be started. There is nothing saying that the dogs who did not have mom until 8wks are more prone to getting the virus then those who do not have mom. It all depends on the immunity state of the actual animal.

I have PERSONALLY seen and cared for puppies who suffered from parvo to make it. There is a higher survival rate with new medicine then ever before. Parvo still can kill, and I hope that the vet who is seeing this woman's pup is aggressively treating this puppy.

Ignorant post tickle.. very ignorant.. Besides.. you have no idea how long this puppy was away from mom. It could have been purchased at the appropriate age.
    Expert

Jan 25, 2015, 05:18 PM
    I stand by my post. My experience... RESCUE
    Ultra Member

Jan 26, 2015, 12:56 PM
    Lol my experience is with rescue AND an actual veterinary hospital with education behind it on my half and the vet's half... I think I got more on you ;)
    Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 01:41 PM
    Yes, of course you do Lucky. I know you are well qualified. My only experience is raiding puppy mills ! And of course, practical experience, and at my age, lots of pets past and present. :)
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 05:12 PM
    Stating that a pup that has contracted parvo is a puppymill dog, or was removed from the mother too soon, or any of the other bull Tickle posted, is just that... bull!

Parvo is extremely easy to catch. Take your puppy for a walk, a dog with parvo pooped on the sidewalk, your puppy sniffed it, and bam. Your puppy doesn't even need to leave the house to get sick! You go out to work, step in urine or feces, from a dog that has parvo, bring your shoes inside, and bam! It doesn't even need to be contact with anything dog. Parvo is carried by birds. You innocently take your dog to the lake for a walk and think it's safe because there are no other dogs there, but the ducks, geese, etc. etc. poop on the grass, and they're carriers of parvo.

Even dogs with all 3 sets of vaccines can catch parvo, although it's usually not deadly at that time. But a puppy under 6 months of age is always at risk, and not because of bad breeders, or puppymills. Don't assume Tickle, instead do some research and learn about parvo instead of relying on your limited "experience".

To the poster, I wish we could tell you what will happen, but sadly we can't. I've seen pups that had two paws in the grave because of parvo, pull through. I've seen other pups that were brought in early, had the treatments, were doing well, and then suddenly they got worse and died.

All you can do is what you're doing, listen to the vet, continue the treatment, and hope for the best.

Please keep us posted, and I wish you and your little pup all the best.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 05:28 PM
    Parvovirus to the canine world is similar to Ebola of the human world. It is a virus any any dog/human is susceptible if they come into contact with it.

Treatment is supportive only. Treat the symptoms, i.e. dehydration and hope the immune system kicks in early enough.

This virus doesn't differentiate between reputable breeders or puppy mills. It doesn't care how long the pup nursed on its mother. I rescued a pup who was taken from her mother at 6 weeks. My pup was sufficiently vaccinated and still contracted the virus. She lived for 10 long years after her diagnosis and treatment before passing peacefully in her sleep 2 years ago this summer b
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2015, 06:07 PM
    I got a puppy from my next door neighbor, it got parvo. It can happen at the best of places.

Since the vet is still trying to save the puppy, there is still a chance. The vet would know if there is no hope.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the signs when a parvo puppy needs to be put down, and is parvo painful [ 37 Answers ]

I Just had to put down our new boxer puppy and we think he either had Parvo or hook worms. We are devastated and are looking into getting a new baby but we want to do it safely. I am trying to figure out which one it was. Before we put him down he was crying like he was in terrible pain and it was...

My puppy has Parvo [ 15 Answers ]

I just came back from the Vet and my puppy was also diagnosed with Parvo. He is 6 months old and had the antibiotics, Nause shots while at the Vet. I am optimistic that he is going to be all-right since it just ate today for the first time and has not vomit, we are counting the time and see for how...

Puppy with parvo [ 1 Answers ]

I had a puppy for 7 days he had to be put to sleep due to parvo I have a 2 1/2 year old dog has all shots how long should I watch him for symptoms

When can I get another puppy after my puppy died of parvo? [ 19 Answers ]

My husband and I recently bought a puppy. 5 days later she was very sick and after taking her to the vet hospital we found out she had parvo. We did everything possible to help her get better but after 5 days of 24 hour treatment we had to put her to sleep. We've now learned that she contacted the...

Parvo Puppy [ 9 Answers ]

My Mom purchased a Yorkie-Poo puppy on Friday April 7th, from a local Breeder. She took him to the vet Monday the 10th and he was given a Clean bill of health, although the Vet was not pleased with the Paperwork provided by the breeder (regarding shots given). On Wed. April 12th, my Mom...

View more questions Search