Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    HannaU Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2015, 09:18 AM
    Maternity contract
    Dear all,

I'm due to go on maternity leave in the UK in May 2015 and I will take 39 weeks off. In addition to the Statutory Maternity Pay that is offered through the government my company has also offered me an additional £170 per week from week 7 until week 39 on the basis that I return to work for at least 12 months when my maternity leave ends. My question is, if I was to fall pregnant again during those 12 months and had the 2nd baby before the 12 months were up, would the maternity leave for the 2nd baby count towards those 12 months as I would still be employed by the company?

I know it's unlikely to happen but I just don't want to risk ending up in a situation where I owe the company £5610.

Many thanks,
    Hanna
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2015, 10:52 AM
    You need to read the contract. If the contract states that that, in order to be paid during your leave, you need to work for 12 months after your return, then the contract will, most likely, stipulate what happens if you leave prior to the completion of the 12 months.

For example you used 2 phrases; "return to work for at least 12 months" and "I would still be employed by the company". Those the phrases can be interpreted differently. In my opinion, "return to work" refers to actual working. So if you ceased to be able to work prior to the 12 months expiring, I would count you in breach of contract.

You may want to have a solicitor review the contract before signing it.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2015, 11:01 PM
    With the limited information and without reading the wording, no, it is likely not to be the case, they are looking for 12 months of employment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Maternity leave [ 4 Answers ]

This is a very small company with 9 employees and the company does not have a written policy for sick time, vacation time or maternity leave. Are they required to give sick time, vacation time and if so can they use this time for maternity leave. Currently they give the standard 1 week vacation...

Maternity [ 3 Answers ]

can an employer tell a random person over the phone if an employee is on maternity leave?

Maternity in es [ 6 Answers ]

:confused: is nest making. In six month old pups natural? She takes 5 minutes 2 settke down and costantly scratches at her blanket

Maternity leave [ 3 Answers ]

I am a hiar stylist who is 7 months pregnant, I do not have maternity leave with my employers. Is there any kind of assistance I gan get during my leave? I am just making enough right now to pay bills so I am concerned on how to pay my bills while I am not able to work.

Maternity Leave [ 2 Answers ]

Hello. I am currently pregnant and very EXCITED! :) My question is: How long to I have to go back to work after Maternity Leave so all my health insurance is covered? See my situation is my boyfriend and I aren't married, but we are putting the baby on his insurance once it's born so that...

View more questions Search