Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aaadriannaaa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    -

Jan 18, 2015, 09:22 PM
    My dad won't let me do girly things?
    I'm a 15 year old girl and my dad doesn't let me wear any makeup or nail polish or dye my hair things like that. My mom has no problem with me wearing makeup (as long as its not dramatic its fine) my mom let's me wear a bit of mascara and paint my nails any color I want and dye my hair but my dad doesn't let me he said it will make me look weird but that is only because he is a "guy" not a girl? And he only let's me wear a dress on special occasions like to a wedding but that's it? And my mom just told me to not worry what he says and just do it.

For Christmas my moms friend bought me this set of makeup including nail polish and my dad give me this dirty look about it and won't let me use it and he told me to just donate it and don't use it?
    kcomissiong Posts: 1,166, Reputation: 276
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2015, 10:58 PM
    I don't necessarily think that this is an issue about "girly" things. Some parents simply don't allow makeup, or hair modification for their children. I think that the bigger issue here is the conflicting messages from your parents. Is there any way to have them discuss this with you? You'll have an opportunity to hear what your father's objections/concerns are, and to share your feelings as well. You may be surprised at what he has to say. Ultimately, it would be ideal for your parents to have one set of rules for you to follow.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 19, 2015, 05:35 AM
    First, do you live with both your parents? If so, this is an issue THEY need to hash out. Mom telling you to ignore Dad is not a good thing especially if you are all in the same household.

Your dad worries about you. He is afraid of you growing up, not without reason. But, at 15 you should be given some leeway. But the three of you need to sit down and establish guidelines.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 19, 2015, 05:53 AM
    Each generation has different behaviors that are considered OK, normal, acceptable. And it seems that more and more permission is given to children younger and younger each generation. 35+ years ago, a teen wearing makeup was a slut in the making - probably the way it was when your dad was a teen. It meant she was sexually easy, it meant boys would expect her to put out, it meant that parents would be horrified. Your mother apparently is more aware of changing trends, and of what is 'acceptable' makeup these days - probably nothing too overdone. (Understated makeup has always been more classy, I think - light colors, lightly applied.)
    I agree with the two responses/questions above.

Not wanting you to wear a DRESS? Are you sure that's it, or is it how revealing the dress is? Can you elaborate more on that? When I was in high school, girls were required to wear dresses or skirts. A million years ago.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 19, 2015, 06:09 AM
    I have to agree, do you live with mom or dad( or both?) if both have mom and dad work together and decide one rule
    creativegoth Posts: 56, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2015, 02:19 AM
    Your dad is just being you dad, you'll always be his little girl, he's just being protective towards you..
    Jake2008 Posts: 6,721, Reputation: 3460
    Emotional Health Expert

Feb 10, 2015, 07:35 AM
    You are the monkey in the middle of two parents who cannot communicate well enough, to address even the simplest of issues, in order to resolve a bump in the road.

At 15, a 'yes you can' followed by a 'no you can't', leaves you in the position of siding with one parent or the other, because the parents don't seem able or willing to compromise- for your sake.

If you wear the makeup, your father strongly disapproves.

If you don't wear the makeup, you have given up 100% of what you wanted to do.

You are put in a very unreasonable position. And to add insult to injury, while you are being very respectful and considerate in trying to come to a compromise, with both your parents, you are put aside, and expected to- do what exactly?

It is not okay to suggest that bad parenting is simply your dad being protective. That you're his little girl, does not get him off the hook. It's just another excuse.

I'm also not so sure this isn't about more than the makeup. Perhaps it is an opportunity for one parent to stick it to the other, at your expense?

In which case, if they can't, or won't talk, and reach some reasonable ground on allowing you to simply wear a little makeup- then perhaps you should simply inform them that you are forced to make the decision, and then make the decision for yourself.
    alanad123 Posts: 102, Reputation: 5

Feb 10, 2015, 04:27 PM
    Honestly I'd just say he's in denial of his little girl growing up, my dad was the same when I was 15, he would prefer to see me with my hair tied back with no make-up on, I'm now 20, had a boyfriend for 2 years now and he's still not accepted it, it's a daddy thing lol
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Feb 10, 2015, 07:14 PM
    I am with him in the hair coloring. For other things though, he may have the wrong idea of what you would choose. If you are agreeable to natural looking makeup and nail polish that is fun but not over the top, nails reasonably short, maybe you just need to show him so he can see you don't want to go nuts with it. Same with dresses - many girls where them skin tight and so short they barely cover their butt. But if you are willing to wear something age appropriate and no shorter than a couple inches above the knee, maybe he would be OK with that. My guess is that he has an extreme image in mind and figures it is easier to say "no" than negotiate boundaries.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 10, 2015, 07:19 PM
    It's time for mom and dad to be better parents and stop confusing their child. They need to talk and come to an agreement on what you're allowed to do and what you're not allowed to do.

Your parents are really not good at parenting.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to get dad to do more things? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, So this does not really have anything to do with me its more about my little Step Nephew. Ok so let me explain this a little bit.. My sister is dating a guy that has a kid from a previous girlfriend... Well in his previous relationship he has a kid and he is 6 years of age which...

My 16 yr old son lives out of state with dad, dad won't let him come live with me. [ 1 Answers ]

We have equal custody, dad is primary and court allowed son to go and live in Texas with his father after his father pulled him from school in Nevada without me knowing and sent him to live with his parents and go to school in Texas. When we went to court so they could force him to bring him back...

Go back to Dad to sort things out? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm the eldest of four daughters. My dad was an emotionally unstable man when he and I were younger. He was very anxious, I think, and only knew how to deal with it through raging anger, that would burst out unexpectedly at any slight "trigger". I know he always felt very bad about it...

Why she won't take her things? [ 30 Answers ]

My girlfriend and I of three yrs have recently broke up In the past Month. She left almost all her things with me when she moved out. Laptop,Ipod all her clothes... etc. Why does she not want It? She says she does but when she calls she talks about our relationship. I have asked her many times to...

View more questions Search