Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    1103caru Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 18, 2015, 11:00 AM
    I'm a private duty caregiver. On my checks there aren't any normal deductions.
    I'm a private duty caregiver for a company. I've noticed on my checks that there are no deductions for medicare and the government taxes. All that is on my checks are a balance for the two weeks. There isn't any 'to date' amounts or anything.

It looks sketchy and taxes are coming up. I've been saving up money for when tax time does come. My work told me that they will send an 1099 to file my taxes.

Will I be in big trouble?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2015, 11:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by 1103caru View Post
    My work told me that they will send an 1099 to file my taxes.
    You won't be in any trouble at all. Your "work" treats you as an independent contractor. That's why they are sending you a 1099 and why they haven't withheld taxes. You are responsible for paying the taxes yourself.

The only trouble you might get into is for underpaying. But if this is the first year that you are working as an independent contractor, then you shouldn't have to pay a penalty for that. Normally you are required to pay quarterly estimated taxes as an independent contractor.

Was this the only place you worked for during 2014? Did you get wages from another job where taxes were withheld?

You should be filing a Schedule C with your return as a sole proprietorship. The 1099 income will be reported on the Schedule C. You will be able to take deductions against your income to reduce your tax liability. Things like transportation to and from, and more.

I suggest you consult with a tax preparer on filling out your return.
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 18, 2015, 03:06 PM
    I can help you file, as I routinely do these type of returns every year.

If interested, please email me at the email address in my profile.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Bonded for private duty nursing business [ 0 Answers ]

How do I become bonded in California in order to start my own private duty nursing company?

In the State of Missouri, why would someone write caregiver checks to himself? [ 8 Answers ]

My sister is writing checks each month for caregiver services from my mother's account to herself and cashing them. Why would she do this? My sister lives rent and board free, pays no utilities and never has. My mother pays all bills for the home and living expenses. My sister pockets all...

How do I get dividend checks replaced. I have lost $500 in AT&T checks. [ 1 Answers ]

I have lost divident checks. How do I replace them?

View more questions Search