Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    axlsma Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2015, 06:55 PM
    If you are already employed will they fire me for expunged records from over 20 years
    The Local bouroh I have been employed at for over two years wants all of the employees to do fingerprint scan. My records have been expunged and are from over 20 years ago. Will they show up and can I get fired. No convictions were for sexual misconduct or child abuse.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 17, 2015, 07:00 PM
    What country? How old were you? What was the general nature of the crime? What is your job, also in general?

(Usually employment doesn't guarantee that you keep the job when an old record is revealed, but there are other factors. It isn't an easy question to give a yes or no to. And expunged records don't always get expunged by the history search companies, even though they are supposed to.)
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 18, 2015, 01:28 AM
    Normally no they will not show up but it appears you do work for a branch of local government so it is possible that they will see it. Can they fire you will depend on the employment rules, the exact wording about past crimes, the exact crime they were and the exact job you have.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 18, 2015, 11:22 AM
    Did you lie when you applied for the job? If not, then, they may not fire you, but they could. Without knowing more about your position and your employer's policies, I don't know.

If the record was expunged, it is not likely to show up under anything but a very thorough search. If it does and they question you, you can explain that the record was expunged and you are not the person you were then.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can fbi records be expunged [ 3 Answers ]

Fbi record expungment is it possible

Expunged records/FBI search/fingerprints [ 2 Answers ]

I was arrested 5 years ago for petit theft in Florida- I was not a minor. At the time of arrest I did not have a mugshot and was not fingerprinted. Since that time, I completed pretrial diversions, my record was expunged & sealed and no other incidents have occurred. I am currently in PA, working...

How do I get my fingerprints expunged from FBI records? [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a software engineer who used to work in Defense. I previously had a Top Secret SSBI security clearance. As such, the FBI has my finger prints on file. I remember when I was investigated for the clearance I was told that I could have the finger prints expunged in the future. I no longer do...

Fbi records expunged for non convictions [ 1 Answers ]

Here's my situation... I was arrested and charged with a misdemeanor theft many years ago. Further investigation revealed that the evidence did not support the charge, so the prosecutor dropped the charges and we had the arrest records expunged. Fast forward to last year and I applied for a CCW...

Self employed and no records. [ 2 Answers ]

I have a situation in which someone is asking me to help them with their taxes. He has not filed in the last five years and considers himself self employed. He's looking to file this year yet has not kept any records of any of his business dealings nor paid any taxes. What would be this persons...

View more questions Search