Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    anil_potu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 11:30 AM
    On H1b, wife and Kid joined me recently and need to get tax exemption for them.
    Hi,

I came to US in Oct -06 alone. My wife and kid were in india till Mar-07 when they came here. I filed my tax returns individually thinking that they are not eligible for tax exemption. My friends told me that they can be included now and I can apply for tax amendment. My earning were $10000 last year. How much can I get more as a return. I already got $1000 for my earlier filing.
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 9, 2007, 12:13 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by anil_potu
    Hi,

I came to US in Oct -06 alone. My wife and kid were in india till Mar-07 when they came here. I filed my tax returns individually thinking that they are not eligible for tax exemption. My friends told me that they can be included now and i can apply for tax ammendment. My earning were $10000 last year. How much can i get more as a return. I already got $1000 for my earlier filing.
    What was your visa status in 2006?
    anil_potu Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 12:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by The Texas Tax Expert
    What was your visa status in 2006?

I am on H1b visa
    The Texas Tax Expert Posts: 310, Reputation: 7

Apr 9, 2007, 04:03 PM
    Residents can claim their non-resident spouses but you are a NR.

You only way to become a resident would be to wait until you meet the SPT in 2007 and then file the election for you and your wife both to be residents. This would require you to include all your foreign income for US tax as well, which may or may not work out well (you can use the foreign tax credit).
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Apr 17, 2007, 12:17 PM
    TTE has covered all issues rather well. No additional comment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

H1b visa holder filing joined tax return with H4wife [ 1 Answers ]

I reached US on H1b visa at the middle of October, 2005 and filed tax for 2005 as resident alien by waiting up to June, 2006 for passing SPT. So my 2005 tax filing went fine. I married on Nov3,2006 and my wife reached (h4 visa) here on Nov 28, 2006. For getting ITIN for my wife I...

Filing Tax First Time for myself (H1B) and my Wife(H4) [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I was in Seattle, WA from Mar 2006 to Nov 2006 on H1B. My Wife was with me from Apr 2006 to Nov 2006 on H4. I had mentioned M2 as the FWT. I am back to my native country from Nov 2006. I have the following queries regarding filing the tax. Kindly clarify my queries. 1. Am I a resident...

Tax return. I am on H1B and My wife in India [ 10 Answers ]

Hi, I am in USA for the full tax year 2006. My wife is in India and can't come here before April 15 which is the last day of filing Federal tax return(May be she will not join me in another 7-8 months). What will be the status of my tax return? What is the process to claim the tax...

US/Italy Tax Treaty -- H1B Exemption [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, I recently changed my status from F1 to H1B in January 2007. I have a post-doc position for the academic year 2006-07, started on September 2006 and renewable for two years. I haven't received tax refunds as an F1. My instiutution (Penn) now claims that I am not eligible for tax exemption...

Tax exemption for H1B visa [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, I am a china citizen. But I got the US H1B visa stamp from non-tax treaty country-singapore because I work there. Am I under tax exemption because of china citizenship? Or not because my visa stamp is from singapore? Thanks

View more questions Search