Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    123highschoolst Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2015, 05:09 PM
    Can someone age of 15 move out of their mom's home and into their aunt's house?
    Okay, so I have a really close friend who is always being treated badly by her mother. Her mother smacks her for no reason, leaves her alone at home with her 5 year old sister, has beat her to the floor, and other things. My friend has been treated badly by that side of the family and always wanted to move in with her Aunt, her aunt use to have custody for her but I believe the custody was then given to her mom. She feels uncomfortable at home and has already tried to commit suicide, I want to know the legal rights in New York City, is she allowed to leave to her Aunt or is that considered runaway? What if she tells the cops or the court why she ran away and she has witnesses? My mother, her father and her aunt, and of course me, we know everything her mom does to her, we just can't do anything about. However I'm trying to help. So please answer this question, as soon as possible.
    Homegirl 50 Posts: 10,794, Reputation: 2604
    Dating & Teen Expert

Jan 14, 2015, 06:14 PM
    This is something adults can look into and handle.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 14, 2015, 06:39 PM
    Agree, too many questions too. Why did the mother get custody back from the aunt?

Section III: Legal Rights & Responsibilities of Youth
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 14, 2015, 07:35 PM
    The aunt and/or your parents can report this to Child Protectve Services. Your friend can't just get up and leave.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 15, 2015, 06:08 AM
    Correct, your friend can't just leave. And if the aunt allows her to move in, the aunt can get in trouble.

Your friend needs to go a counselor at school or the school nurse and report the physical abuse. Have her go immediately after a beating so she can show the bruises. She should let her aunt know her plans so the aunt can let Family Services know she is willing to foster her.

The school is required to report this to Family Services. They will investigate and remove your friend from the house if the abuse is confirmed.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 15, 2015, 07:51 AM
    If it's that bad then it should be reported and done legally.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2015, 04:08 PM
    I agree with Scott, your friend needs to report it at school as that is the safest route to take. If anyone else gets involved as in reporting it and nothing comes of it the mother and child may disappear. That is not what you nor anyone wants. She has to get up the courage to report it.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jan 15, 2015, 07:37 PM
    You say in your post that her father is aware of this.

My mother, her father and her aunt, and of course me, we know everything her mom does to her
    Why isn't her father doing something about this? Of all the people that could help, he's the most logical choice as he's her father.

You say in your post that her father is aware of this.

My mother, her father and her aunt, and of course me, we know everything her mom does to her
    Why isn't her father doing something about this? Of all the people that could help, he's the most logical choice as he's her father.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2015, 04:31 AM
    She can of course talk to her aunt, that can talk to her mother and try to work things out. Also depends on "treated badly" as to any legal avenues. But no, if mother has custody she can not just move, her mother would have to allow, or the courts would have to change custody

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What age can I move out of my parents house [ 36 Answers ]

I'm 13 years old and I live with my mom and step-dad I am very unhappy living with them. My dad is dead, my grandparents will not take me in and I have no other family. I get bullied a lot and my mom blamed it on me, I'm bisexual and if I tell my mom she will prouble kick me out anyway. I have a...

If I move in with my aunt without my parents consent cant my aunt get in trouble. [ 1 Answers ]

I have a older sister that has 5 grils and the olds one that is 16 wants to move in with me but my sister and her other hafe don't want her to move they want her to stay and help take care of the other kids I don't thanke that right and I would love for her to stay with me what can I do.

My son and his aunt rented in house in Florida, the Aunt moves [ 2 Answers ]

The rented a house in Florida in July of this year. The aunt got mad at him and moved back to Texas. She told him she can come and go as she pleases. My son talked to the landlord, he said that was a family issue and not his. What right does my son have? Does he have rights if she does not pay...

My aunt needs to go to nursing home. House is in foreclosure process. [ 2 Answers ]

Her husband is already in a facility. Medicaid plus $350 monthly covers his cost. Can she enter the home while house is in foreclosure? If it is forclosed, will she qualify for medicaid? When her husband dies, will the state try to recover their cost prior to the foreclosure?

How do I tell my mom I want my boyfriend and I to move in together in my house? [ 4 Answers ]

I recently found out I was pregnant, I'm 15. My boyfriend is 19. He's going to stand beside me, I'm positive he will. We've been together for a little over 9 months. When I told my mother I was pregnant, she was asking smart attitude questions like: You guys can just move into our house if you want...

View more questions Search